| 15.2°C Dublin

Madden hits a brace to keep Bohs in touch

A DOUBLE from Paul Madden got Bohemians' Premier Division title defence back on track with an impressive 2-0 victory over UCD at the Belfield Bowl.

The visitors' incessant early pressure was rewarded with an 11th-minute penalty following Paul Corry's late tackle on Raffaele Cretaro.

With Jason Byrne absent, it was Madden who assumed the spot-kick duties and he converted with minimum fuss.

The second goal arrived in the 72nd minute as Cretaro fed Madden and the red-hot marksman clinically dispatched the opportunity.

Byrne scorcher gives Fingal share of the spoils

Neither Sporting Fingal nor Sligo Rovers left the Morton Stadium with any satisfaction last night after the visitors owned the ball for 80 minutes before Fingal hit the bar twice in the last 10 minutes.

Sligo took the lead after 14 minutes as Sporting defender Ger O'Brien's attempted clearance of Alan Keane's cross fell to Eoin Doyle, who swept the ball home.

But they handed the initiative back to Fingal when the defence allowed an innocuous ball to go to Conan Byrne and the winger curled a left-footer past Richard Brush from the edge of the box for 1-1.

Dundalk have bragging rights after derby win

Dundalk ended a run of three league games without a point by beating their Louth rivals Drogheda United 2-1 at Oriel Park.

The Drogs took the lead after eight minutes when Eoghan Osbourne forced his way into the box on the left before picking out John Flood for a cool finish from six yards out.

Dundalk equalised in the 22nd minute when a swift counter-attack resulted in a headed goal for debutant Stephen McDonnell.

The winning score arrived three minutes before the break. Fahrudin Kuduzovic opened the Drogheda defence up with a clever reverse ball and Mulvenna's strike just had enough legs on it to beat Paul Murphy.

Late Flood header rescues a point for Galway

Anto Flood's 83rd-minute header ensured Galway nicked a 2-2 draw against Bray Wanderers at Terryland Park.

Galway took the lead through Gary Curran in the 12th minute, but 45 seconds after the restart Bray were back on terms as Shane O'Neill rattled the Galway net following a thoughtful Mulroy pass. A Robbie Doyle free kick on 78 minutes edged Bray ahead, but Flood replied for Galway on 83 minutes as they registered a fourth home draw in a row.