MANCHESTER CITY defender Joleon Lescott has warned his team-mates against taking giant killers Wigan for granted tonight at the DW Stadium.
The champions only escaped with three points from their trip to play Roberto Martinez's team last season and Lescott expects nothing different this time round.
"Wigan gave us a really tough game last season and we just edged the game 1-0 and were hanging on towards the end to be fair," said Lescott.
"They always seem to play better against top teams and have a lot of talent in their side plus a very good manager who likes his team to play attractive football.
"They proved that against United last season when they did us a massive favour in the title race by beating them last April, but fully deserved it so we can't and wouldn't underestimate them.
"These games are a chance to showcase how good they can be and occasionally they really surprise people, like they did by beating Spurs away last month.
"I've won there a number of times with Everton and City so it's not been a bad ground for me. It's going to be hard for me to break back into the team with Matija playing so well at the moment, but if I'm called upon to do a job, I'm fit and ready to play."
Wigan tonight become the latest team to try to end Manchester City's unbeaten Premier League record.
Roberto Mancini's men have not tasted defeat in their last 19 league games, a sequence which includes the final six matches of last season's successful title run-in.
They extended what is a club record run in the competition with a goalless draw at Chelsea on Sunday, although it was not enough to see them regain top spot.
Naturally it is something they want to maintain but Mancini's number two David Platt played down its significance.
The first-team coach said: "The unbeaten run is there, it becomes a thing people talk about, but it counts for nothing if you are drawing games and drawing games and drawing games.
"We see that after 13 games, we are still a point behind (Manchester) United, who have lost three games but have also got 10 victories.
"We will try to protect the unbeaten run, but not to the point where we are going to stop trying to win games.
"It gives you a confidence that you are difficult to beat but that is all it does."
Meanwhile, Scott Sinclair is facing an uncertain future at City with the club identifying Malaga attacking midfielder Isco as a leading summer target.
Sinclair, who will travel with the squad to Wigan, has made just five appearances for City since his £6.2m arrival from Swansea in August and amassed a mere 15 minutes on the pitch as a substitute in the last two months.
The 23-year-old was signed as a replacement for England winger Adam Johnson, who left for Sunderland citing a lack of first-team football at City.
City's growing interest in Isco, a 20-year-old with two goals and two assists in the Champions League this season, will do little to improve Sinclair's prospects at the Etihad Stadium.
Sinclair has been told that Mancini's 'door is open' if he wants to seek more football elsewhere. "When a player comes to this club, they are going to have to accept they are not going to play week and in week out," said Platt.