| 14.7°C Dublin

'YC' made pay by rathnew

Rathnew AFC....................... 3

Enniskerry Youth Club...........0

With multiple Wicklow Cup winners Jason Devlin and Colin Jameson marshalling the defence impeccably, Rathnew claimed their first Division 2 points of the new season.

Having succumbed to Celtic Stars (3-2) at the same venue of Shamrock Park in their opening fixture, the 'Villagers had too much in attack for a young Enniskerry team last Friday.

They needed just 12 minutes to open their account. Chris Gregory's ball over the top saw Craig Butler charge down Brian Harvey's attempted clearance.

The ball fell kindly to Keith Doyle who expertly curled past a covering defender from 16-yards. Harvey then made a superb stop to keep out Doyle's low-drive soon after. Yet, it could have been a different story if the visitors - who combined with Enniskerry FC during the summer - had taken a gilt-edged chance in the 20th minute.

Simon Chadwick bravely blocked down a clearance in the hosts half. He raced clear in a one-on-one situation with Stephen Doyle, but the custodian stood up strong to make a vital stop.

From the rebound, the ball was chipped back into the danger zone were the unmarked Stephen Smith scooped over with the goal at his mercy. And they were made to pay for those misses just before half time., but only after Harvey had come to the rescue to twice make vital saves to prevent Keith Doyle adding to his tally.

John Hubbard floated over a free from the left wing. The ball appeared to come off Doyle's head, but referee David Jameson did well to spot that it had flicked off the head of an Enniskerry player.

That meant Butler wasn't offside when he gathered the loose ball and swivelled to arrow a low shot into the far corner of the net.

Harvey made three brilliant saves to deny John Hubbard and Butler twice in the second period before Rathnew sealed the points in the 82nd minute.

Released by Butler along the left flank, Gregory's low delivery wasn't cut-out and led to a defensive mistake. That gifted substitute Peter Carter the simple task of tapping into an open goal.

Having bagged a point in their first fixture in a 2-2 away draw with Roundwood at the Vartry Grounds, Enniskerry's evening was summed up in stoppage time.

Substitute Niall Vaughan's low free from the edge of the box found fellow, unmarked, sub Conor Flood. But his close-range effort came back off the cross-bar and bounced in front of the line before being cleared.

Rathnew AFC: Stephen Doyle; Patrick Byrne, Jason Devlin, Colin Jameson, John Hubbard; David Shortall, Niall Manning, Mark Murphy, Chris Gregory; Keith Doyle, Craig Butler. Subs: Richard Quinn (for Shortall 68 mins), Peter Carter (for Keith Doyle), Simon Dunne (for Byrne) (both 79 mins), Nicky Kearney (not used).

Enniskerry Youth Club: Brian Harvey; Paddy O'Gorman, Alan O'Reilly, Dylan O'Kelly, Tommy Harvey; Ronan Burke, Simon Chadwick, Robin Pigot, Cian Flood; Ben Rooney, Stephen Smith. Subs: Garret Dunne (for Tommy Harvey half time), Niall Vaughan (for Rooney 56 mins), Conor Flood (for Burke 61 mins).

Referee: David Jameson.