| 10.1°C Dublin

Wolfe Tone hold nerve to overcome 'bar' issue

AMID DRAMATIC and unusual scenes, Wolfe Tone Celtic emerged victorious over local rivals Glenview FC A to reach the semi finals of the Wicklow Cup.

Amazingly, when the quarter-final at the Temple Sportsfield in Bray went to the penalties the cross-bar broke.

As the other goal had been taken down after the final whistle, referee Paul O'Brien had to wait until a replacement bar was fixed to the upright's before letting the shoot-out continue.

That ended when Kris Farrell converted the winnning spot-kick as 'Celtic won 7-6.

David Greene, David Carroll, Kieran Conway, Graham Devlin, Fergie Martin and Colm Flynn also made no mistake from 12-yards for the hosts.

Kieran 'Tarzan' O'Brien, Tony Harris, Robbie Healy, Carl Connolly, David Hughes and Ryan Davis were on the losing side who failed to reach the semi finals for the first time since 2007.

During the 90 minutes of normal time, Conway (against his former club) and Glenview's Harris scored in the 1-1 draw.

Elsewhere the same day at Bridgewater Centre Park, Arklow Town A came from 2-1 and 3-2 down to secure their passage into the last four.

Wicklow Town A had seemed set to book their place in the semi final's after former Republic of Ireland schoolboy international David Smullen (2) and Richard Murphy had given them lead's in the contest.

But Stephen O'Neill and Gearoid Redmond had got Arklow back into the clash before the same pair popped up in the closing stages with first an equalising, and then a winning, header's to complete the comeback.

St Anthony's 'back in' after cup protest win

ACTION OFF the pitch has also seen the focus cast upon the Wicklow Cup.

Last month, the Wicklow League Executive Committee took the unprecedented move of removing holders Rathnew AFC A for bringing the game into disrepute and because of their recent poor disciplinary record.

That meant a walk-over was been awarded to Newtown United A in the quarter-finals, with the Magpies now advancing to the last four.

Meanwhile, St. Anthony's A will host Wicklow Rovers A for the final semi final spot on offer when the teams clash on Sunday May 16th.

That's after the Kilcoole club were successful in their appeal against the eligibility of one of Richmond Rovers players from their third round match last month.

Rovers won 1-0 at Finn Park. But the Saint's claimed their Bray opposition fielded a player than played for another club in a previous round.

It turned out the players name was on the match card when his previous club - Fassaroe Youth Club A - defeated Arklow United C 3-1 at the Little Bray Community Centre in the first round back in November 2009.

It also transpired that the player in question was therefore ineligible for the Richmond's second round 2-0 win over former champions Shillelagh United back in February of this year at the Ballywaltrim Recreational Park.

The player actually scored in both games against Shillelagh and St. Anthony's. But Shillelagh did not know about his status until the St. Anthony's protest.