| 5.8°C Dublin


Wicklow Town A .....................2

St Peter's Bhoys A................... 1

The 'Town knocked favourites St. Peter's out of the Wicklow Cup as they moved closer to ending their 12-year wait to lift the elusive trophy.

Midfielder David Duggan timed his run to perfection to steer a glancing header past David O'Neill off Maurice Dunne's 73rd minute orner to send the Yellow and Blue's into the last eight at Finlay Park yesterday afternoon.

In the all Premier Division clash, the home team took a 58th minute lead.

Former Bray Wanderers duo Dunne and David Smullen combined before Dunne's shot was blocked by the arm of Thomas Woodcock and defender John O'Loughlin blasted the 12-yard dead-ball to the net.

But the 'Bhoys responded and levelled matters in the 65th minute. Substitute David Murray's clever lofted pass saw three 'Peter's players chase the ball.

And top scorer Shane Byrne won the race to fire a half volleyed finish past Lar Newsome at his near upright.

The Bray outfit who were the most disgruntled by some of the referee's decisions as they felt as they should have been awarded at least three penalties.

Not to be left out in the complaining stakes, the hosts also felt aggrieved.

With the match poised at 1-1, Dunne played a short corner with Smullen and cut past an opponent to hit a far to the far corner. Covering substitute Daniel Kelly hacked clear at back stick but the 'Town claimed the ball had already crossed the line.

With the away side pushing players up into attack in search of a late equaliser, Wicklow had a goal by substitute Richard Murphy harshly ruled out for offside while Dunne wasted a glorious chance when he close range effort was blocked.

Wicklow Town A: Lar Newsome, Anthony Doran, Leonard Carton, Denis Vickers, John O'Loughlin; Mark Johnson, David Duggan, Mark Delaney, Ricki Quinn; Maurice Dunne, David Smullen. Subs: Sean Duffy (for Quinn half time), Richard Murphy (for Johnson 87 mins), Matthew Byrne, Sam O'Connor Dean Leonard (all not used).

St. Peter's Bhoys A: David O'Neill; Darren Keating; Mark Hind, Andrew Gilligan; Justin Kelly; Darren McAteer, Fiachra Treacy, Jason Matthews; Jamie Kelly; Jeffrey Kelly, Shane Byrne Subs: Thomas Woodcock (for Hind 28 mins), David Murray (for Treacy 62 mins), Daniel Kelly (for Matthews 71 mins), Shane Gallagher (not


Referee: Miroslaw Krzyzak.