| 9°C Dublin

spurs' red-hot derby display

Newbridge Hotspurs...................................3

Newbridge Colts..........................................0

Both these sides had just pride to play for as they faced up to each other in a local derby.

Colts are second from bottom of the table and Hotspurs just two places above them. However, they provided plenty of entertainment in a game that the home side deserved to win although they were slightly flattered by the winning margin.

Colts, in their first season in competitive football, have struggled somewhat but had upped their game in recent weeks with wins over Kildare Town and Bush Celtic.

Debutante goalkeeper, Chris Clarke, kept them in the game in the early stages with fine stops from Owen Cox, who was played in by Wayne Kennedy and Dean Maher, who tested the 'keeper with a superb header from a cross by Adrian O'Donoghue.

The deadlock was broken in the 17th minute with what could only be described as a superb individual goal by Scott O'Sullivan. The ball was cleared by the Colts defence as far as O'Sullivan, who took the ball on his chest, let it take one bounce and from all of 35 yards unleashed a looping shot which sailed in over Clarke's head and into the top corner of the net.

'Spurs continued to press as Colts found it difficult to get into the game and they doubled their advantage in the 29th minute when Owen Cox manufactured a corner on the right.

When he swung the ball in, Darren Feane, who had lost his marker, rose at the back post to plant a header past the helpless Clarke.

Newbridge Colts were not about to roll over and they fared much better in the second half.

Stephen Browne created some space for himself in the box after 55 minutes but failed to beat the impressive Keith Tuffy in the Hotspurs goals and two minutes later Stephen Bennett got on the end of a cross from Niall O'Sullivan but Tuffy intervened to preserve his side's two-goal advantage.

Colts were now having the better of the exchanges and they really should have got themselves back into the game when Steven Donegan was played in by Paddy O'Neill but the striker failed to connect properly and Tuffey saved comfortably.

That was as good as it got for the Colts as Hotspurs reasserted their authority on the game and Darren Feane should have added the insurance goal after 70 minutes when he was put through by Scott O'Sullivan, but visiting 'keeper Chris Clarke was again quick off his line to save at Feane's feet.

However Spurs did not have to wait long for their third as one minute later, Man of the Match O'Sullivan was fouled in the middle of the Newbridge Colts half and when Jack Hayes put the free into the box, Feane controlled well and placed the ball in the bottom right corner of the net to put the issue beyond doubt.

Newbridge Hotspurs: Keith Tuffy, Paul Byrne, Adrian O'Donoghue, Jack Hayes, Thomas Kemmy, Frank Durney, Scott O'Sullivan, Wayne Kennedy, Sean maher, Darren Feane, Owen Cox. Subs: Stephen Houlihan, Anthony Martin, Patrick Bolger, Chris Moran.

Newbridge Colts: Chris Clarke, Niall Farrell, Paddy O'Leary, Paddy O'Neill, CJ Loftus, Steve Browne, Stephen Bennett, Niall O'Sullivan, Bob McDonagh, Alan Bennett, Steven Donegan. Subs: Andy Fahy, Jody Kearins.

Referee: Joe Foley.