| -2°C Dublin


The weather struck a major blow with the widespread heavy snowfall on Saturday evening putting paid to all but four of the scheduled matches listed for Sunday, thus adding to the frustration that already existed as a result of a severe backlog of fixtures to date this season.

Rock Celtic, who remain one of only two MDL sides still left in the Leinster Junior Cup, managed to beat the weather and make further progress in remarkable fashion at home to AUL Premier B side from Finglas, Valley Park United

Rock went into a three nil lead after only fifteen minutes with a couple of goals from David Ward, and one from Derek Delaney, and held the same advantage until the break.

Early in the second half Chris Connolly added another and Ward it five and consequently his hat trick before Valley Park on a mini revival pulled two goals back, but Rock finished with a blitz adding four more goals though Connolly adding his second, Paul Gore, Damien English, and Paddy Quinn to make the final score 9-2, and a last sixteen place in which they face a tough assignment away to Trinity Corinthians.

In division one Skryne-Tara had to rely on a Mark Jordan penalty for a share of the spoils away to Longwood.

Trim Celtic, who needed five attempts to eventually come through against fellow Premier Division side Torro United in the first round of the Tully Bookmakers Challenge Cup, thereafter in the second round got revenge for last season's final defeat against Glenmuir United

They looked to be heading for further progress away to in-form Albion Rovers on Friday evening where they were leading 2-1 after 55 minutes .

However, following a delay as a result of an injury to an Albion player, and much to the dismay of the majority present, the referee decided not to continue with proceedings claiming the pitch was not in a fit state at that point.

The matter will no doubt add to the headaches of the Meath District League Committee before ruling on its outcome.

All the Reserve sections in the Saturday programme went ahead as normal.

The top match was undoubtedly the clash of the top two in the A Reserve between Marsh Celtic and Navan Cosmos, and it was the Drogheda side that took all three points in a 3-1 win with goals from Gerry O'Hagan who got two, and Patrick Mc-Claren, Daryl Ratty was on the mark for Cosmos.

In the B Reserve Kells-Blackwater continue to set the pace and ace striker Conor Walsh was in superb form as he netted all four goals in a deserved 4-2 success away to Johnstown.