| 11.8°C Dublin

parkville xxxxxxxxx

Parkville United....................3

Stretford United...................0

Parkville unlike their counterparts Stretford, are having a dream start to their season with full points from their two games.

The Tullow side had the better of the first half with their ;keeper, Kevin Griffin with little to do. The home side created three good chances before they were to open the scoring, two of them long distance shots.

Ebby Quigley had two, one from 30 yards was just wide and the second from almost the sideline was tipped over by the Stretford 'keeper Sean Maher. Their third came from the boot of Jamie Farrell who forced an excellent save from Maher.

Then the breakthrough came on 41 minutes - Quigley crossed in a great shot for Farrell to challenge the 'keeper with a header, which went in off the 'keeper's shoulder to see Parkville leading 1-0 at the break.

Stretford's best chance came from Patrick Dooley on 20 minutes when he forced the Parkville 'keeper, Kevin griffin, into action for the first time.


In the early second half exchanges Parkville showed that their improvement this season was not to be a temporary success when they doubled their advantage with a superbly taken Thomas Byrne free kick from 20 yards, on 48 minutes, that went over the Stretford wall to nest in the back of the Stretford net.

Quigley then went on to miss an excellent chance, the ball was dropped into the box and from 12 yards, the unmarked Quigley drove the ball high and wide.

Stretford were living on their nerves when Parkville got close to their goal and had John Kenny not come to their rescue following a goalmouth scramble, they could have been trailing further.

With James Ryan off the bench, Stretford seemed to come to life. From a great Patrick Dooley cross into the Parkville box, Darren Costelloe with a glancing header forced another great Griffin save for Parkville.

However, it was only a matter of time before Jamie Farrell's superb pace was going to pay dividends. From the half way line he took on two Stretford defenders for speed, flying past their last man, Paul Hughes. Farrell had an excellent finish to make it 3-0 and put the game beyond Stretford despite Mick Doyle's having late chances.