| 6.8°C Dublin

Noone's double nets quarter-final spot

Kilcock Celtic..........................1

Ballycane Celtic.....................2

Senior Division side Ballycane Celtic did about just enough to earn their place in the last eight of the League Shield when they narrowly defeated Premier Division side Kilcock Celtic.

The game kicked off with the home side in the ascendancy and Ciaran Tighe should have given them the lead after 11 minutes but he rushed his shot and blazed over when it seemed easier to score.

Both side were now playing some impressive passing football. At the other end, Richie Mullins broke through from midfield but he too failed to get his shot on target.

Kilcock seemed content to soak-up the pressure and hit the visitors on the break and only a last ditch tackle from centre-back Wayne Higgins denied Mark O'Connor an opener.

The visitors eventually got the breakthrough when striker Keelen Noone was taken down outside the box.

He took responsibility for the free himself and caught Kilcock 'keeper Paddy Broughan napping, curling the ball just inside the right post.

It was end-to-end stuff at the beginning of the second half. Ballycane substitute Naoise Drewett set up Richie Mullins with a well-measured left-wing cross but Mullins flashed his header just over.

The home side piled on the pressure - Andy Kelly, Tadhg O'Muircheartaig, Cormac Moran and Shane Campion testing the visiting 'keeper.

Kilcock, however, were left with a mountain to climb when the visitors netted an excellent second when they won a free 35-yards out.

Ciaran Fennell swung the ball in and Richie Mullins rose high to knock it down for Noone who slotted home his second of the game.

Ballycane now rang the changes with Jon Sullivan replacing his brother Martin up front and Damien Behan replacing Andrew Sheridan.

However, Kilcock were far from out of the tie and they were right back in the game when Fiachra O'Muircheartaig was taken down in the box and the spot-kick was expertly dispatched by Ciaran Tighe.


Indeed they almost brought the game to extra-time when Mark O'Connor won them a corner in the final minute and Cormac Moran rose above the visiting defence flashing a header inches over.

Keelan Noone, Patrick Cully and Martin Sullivan impressed for the winners, while an unlucky Kilcock had stars in Ciaran Tighe and Fiachra O'Muircheartaig in midfield and Mark O'Connor up front.

Kilcock Celtic: Paddy Broughan, Sean Tighe, Eoin Hannigan, Colin White, Shane Campion, Ciaran Tighe, Fiachra O'Muircheartaigh, Cormac Moran, Mark O'Connor, Tadhg O'Muircheartaigh, Andy Kelly.

Ballycane Celtic: Gary Murray, Patrick Cully, Ciaran Fennell, Wayne Higgins, Dermot Doyle, Wayne Doyle, Martin Sullivan, John Dowson, Keelan Noone, Richie Mullins, Andrew Sheridan.

Referee: Seamus Sage.