| -2°C Dublin

moorhouse hits three in a flash

Rathnew AFC...........................0

Wolfe Tone Youth Club B..........6

A whirlwind first-half hat-trick by Michael Moorehouse saw Wolfe Tone get their Heatons/Sportsworld WDSL Under 9 Division 2 Shield campaign off to the best possible start.

Leading 3-0 at the interval last Saturday morning, the Bray side added three more late goals in the second period at Shamrock Park to record their biggest away victory in all competitions so far this season.

Scoreless approaching the quarter hour, Moorehouse went on to register an amazing treble in an amazing three minutes and 48 seconds!

The first arrived after Zak Cullen won a firm tackle and Moorehouse pounced on the loose ball.

With blinding pace, he zipped past four players and guided a low shot past Owen Gregory with a covering defender unable to prevent it crossing the line.

Then a clever reverse Conor Mulvaney pass saw Moorehouse spin off his marker and burst past another defender before expertly lifting the ball over Gregory from eight yards.

Within moments, the striker notched his third. With Mulvaney again the provider, Moorehouse's speed took him clear of the home defence to hit a low effort to net from ten-yards.

Having finished runners-up to champions Enniskerry SFC B in Division 3 of the League, Wolfe Tone have come up for the Shield.

Both Rathnew and Aughrim Rangers A have stayed in the same section.

And Enniskerry A and Wicklow Rovers have dropped done from Division to complete the half dozen teams.

Having only played three times since last October, the ring-rust showed for the Villagers.

But they rallied in the second half. Jack Healy's deflected cross squirmed past Jordan Holmes. Butsubstitute Lewis Kinlan cleared off the line.

Then Healy sent out another left wing cross that evaded everybody but Holmes somehow tipped the ball onto his post on his way to claiming a first away clean sheet of the season.

Just like the first half, the 'Youth Club finished with a flourish and scored three more goals in the last five minutes.

Keshaun Walsh's quick and brilliant goal-kick released Ben Connolly. His first pass was blocked but the second attempt set-up Jordan Mortell to make it 4-0.


Soon after, Kinlan broke free along the left flank. His fine through ball went past three players and allowed Mortell to bag his second with a close range low drive.

Then in the final moments, Connolly tried to pick out Mortell. The ball rebound out right into the penalty area were Louis McHugh struck a bobbling shot that crept into the far corner of the net.

Rathnew AFC: Owen Gregory; Kristian Kearney, David Mulvey, Tristan

O'Toole, Adam Doyle, Nathan Breen, Jack Healy, Shane Cullinane, Cain Flynn, Paul King, Reece Doyle, Nicky Kearney, Dylan Smith.

Wolfe Tone Youth Club B: Jordan Holmes; Neil Gorman, Robert Houlden,

Ben Connolly, Michael Moorehouse, Zak Cullen, Conor Mulvaney, Oscar Daly, Louis McHugh, Lewis Kinlan, Jordan Mortell, Keshaun Walsh.