| 11.1°C Dublin

Lynch on fire as Town rise to the 'Challenge'

Ballinasloe Town................................................6

Shiven Rovers..................................................1

Ballinasloe Town won the Roscommon and District League G and H challenge cup for the fifth time when the beat league champions Shiven Rovers 6-1 at Lecarrow yesterday.

Ballinasloe Town were the better side all trough the game and were 2-0 ahead at half-time.

Newbridge-based Shiven Rovers never played to their full potential and the loss of two of their key players through injury seemed to upset the team.

With just 12 minutes played man of the match Liam Lynch headed a Garry Egan cross to the Shiven Rovers net.

Shiven Rovers came close to scoring after 30 minutes of play.

Cathal Kenny Shane Harkin and Eric Walsh were involved in creating an opening for Eoghan McDonagh but his header was cleared off the line by David Cullen.

Within two minutes Ballinasloe Town were 2-0 ahead. Adrian Ward was the smallest player of the field but his persistence won a corner kick for Ballinasloe Town.

Darragh Concannon swung the ball to the far post and Liam Lynch headed powerfully past a helpless Michael Killalea in the Shiver Rovers goal.

Thomas Hannon saw a good volley shave the Ballinasloe Town crossbar as the seconds ticked away at the end of the first half.

Shiven rovers badly needed a boost of an early goal in the second half but with only three minutes played Mark Duffy saw a shot come back off the Shiven rovers post.

Within a minute he beat the off side trap and controlled a pass from David Cullen before scoring a third for Ballinasloe Town.

This goal ended the game as a contest and while Thomas Hannon and Noel Doyle tested Patrick Kelly in the Ballinasloe Town goal, they rarely troubled a competent back four of Peter Keighery, Niall Stack, Garry Egan and Shane McInerney.

With 10 minutes left to play substitute Henry Loughnane created an opening for David Cullen to score again for Ballinasloe Town.

Three minutes later, Shane Tracey's cross was finished off by Henry Loughnane.

Francis Kilcommins scored for Shiven Rovers with the game approaching injury-time to make it 5-1 and in the last minute of the game Glen Campbell won a penalty kick for the winners and Peter Keighery scored from the spot.

Ballinasloe Town: Patrick Kelly, Niall Stack, Peter Keighery, Shane McInerney, Garry Egan, Mark Duffy, Shane Tracey, Adrian Ward, David Cullen, Liam Lynch, Darragh Concannon. Subs used: Henry Loughnane,Glen Campbell.

Shiven Rovers: Michael Killalea, Larry Kenny, Gearoid O'Connor, Eugene Naughton, Martin Killilea, Eric Wals, Shane Harkin, Frank Kilcommins, Eoghan McDonagh, Cathal Kenny, Thomas Hannon. Subs used: Noel Doyle, Padraig Delaney.

Referee: James Dermody.