| 2.4°C Dublin

hayes-byrne has hoops in a spin!

Wicklow Town........................ 2

Wicklow Rovers A................... 1

Brian Hayes-Byrne struck twice to take down his former club at Finlay Park last Saturday.

And in the process, moved the 'Town to within two games of the WDSL Heatons/Sportsworld U10 Division 1 crown.

But rivals Wolfe Tone Youth Club B matched their title contenders when defeating Arklow Town B 3-0 at the Community College the same day.

It leaves both teams level on points with eight wins and two losses from their ten fixtures to date.

Wicklow Town still have to play Newtown Juniors at home and then away at the Community Grounds.

While Wolfe Tone will have home advantage against Arklow United and Wicklow Rovers at the Temple Sportsfield in Bray in their last two matches.

With all that in mind, Arklow United are still in the mix.

They are five points behind the top two after defeating Carnew AFC 3-1 last Saturday at the Tech Pitch with two fixtures to fulfil.

When the two Wicklow's met last October at the Hockey Pitch in Dunbur, the 'Town won 2-0.

And they repeated that success with two goals in six second half minutes.

The dead-lock was broken in the 27th minute. Robert Talaga's right wing cross bounced awkwardly in front of Rovers keeper Shane Devlin and the ball slipped from his grasp.

That allowed Hayes-Byrne to slide in and score from six-yards.

The lead was then doubled in the 33rd minute. From a thrown deep in their own half, the home team broke down along the right channel.

Hayes-Byrne fed substitute Dillon Whoriskey. He held off his marker and released the on-rushing Hayes-Byrne who fired low right footed into the far bottom corner of the net from 15-yards.

Throughout the game, the visitors matched their opponents in defence and midfield.

But lacked the vital element in attack. The hosts had led the corner count 19-0 two minutes into stoppage time when Rovers won their first and only flag-kick.

Rian Dwyer whipped in the dead-ball from the right flank. It was headed up in the air inside the box were Conor Brennan rose to nod in from close range.

The opening period belonged to Wicklow Town. After nine minutes, Devlin and Dwyer combined to thwart Dion Corkish-Quinn from close in.

Then Oisin O'Reilly was just off target with a 25-yard shot before an amazing sequence in first half injury time.

They forced seven corners in a row. From the third one, Talaga's delivery led to a scramble in which

O'Reilly's shot was hacked off the line by Richard Sheane.

Then from the sixth set-piece, Talaga's ball went to the back stick.

Hayes-Byrne had a shot stopped on the line by Sheane with the striker's rebound hitting the upright.

Wicklow Town: Dermot Whoriskey; Reece Kelly, Oisin O'Reilly, Robert Talaga, Dillon Whoriskey, Dion Corkish-Quinn, Conor Dunne, Brian Hayes-Byrne, Jordan Sinnott.

Wicklow Rovers A: Shane Devlin; Sean Algera, Hugh Bradshaw, Richard Sheane, Jack Geraghty, JJ Power, Rian Dwyer, Jack Crowley, Eddie Geraghty, Conor Brennan, Joe Hasting, Jeff Laverty.