| 10.1°C Dublin

Galway clubs suffer FAI Junior Cup weekend woe

It was a bad day for Galway sides in the Unbro FAI Junior Cup as all four clubs exited the competition at the Fifth Round stage. The big game of the weekend took place in Fahy's Field yesterday afternoon when St Michael's, Tipperary faced Mervue United and it was the visitors who emerged comfortable 3-1 winners.

The home side were dealt a cruel blow on just 6 minutes when they lost striker Stephen Cunningham with a broken leg and just a minute after the game restarted they were reduced to ten players after left full Shane Kelly was issued with a red card for what was a rash rather than a dangerous challenge.

From that moment on the visitors dominated matters and an Eamonn Feeney own goal gave them an interval advantage, before Pat Quinn added two more on the resumption. Rynan Browne did pull one back for the home side, but it was just a token reply against a Michael's side who were always in command.

Conrrib Celtic were to rue a missed penalty by Chris Greaney as they went down 3-0 at home to Nenagh Celtic in Annaghadown, while NUI Galway had no joy on the road in Donegal as they were beaten 2-0 by Lough Harps. In Ballyfermot on Saturday, Colmanstown were beaten 1-0 by Orchard Athletic with a Jason Finn effort that crashed off the woodwork the closest they went to a reward.

Meanwhile, Mark Sweeney and Keith Fleming notched extra time goals as Dynamo Blues defeated Oranmore by 5-3 in the Michael Byrne Cup, while Athenry were comfortable 4-1 home winners over Kinvara as Cathal Fahy, Stephen Rabbitte, Conor Cannon and Brian Mannion all hit the target.

In the Lillis Cup, Tuam Celtic advanced with a 2-1 win over Oughterard as Colin Lynch scored twice in extra time to secure their passage

Hibernians came from behind twice as they drew 2-2 with West United in the Premier League. Brothers Mike and Mats O'Malley put the visitors ahead twice, but a brace of headers by Brian Griffin and Keith Ward secured a share of the spoils for the home side.

First Division leaders St Bernard's lost their first league game of the season when they went down 2-1 to St Patrick's