| 5.8°C Dublin

Furlong superb as Villa topple champs Tramore

Villa............................................................. 4

Tramore....................................................... 1

Villa claimed three valuable points in Connors Park over the week end when they took on and beat last seasons Premier League champions Tramore, Declan Furlong was the goal hero as Villa came from behind to take the points.

Villa got off to a poor start when Tramore took the lead early in the sixth minute. A sweeping move down the left flank resulted in Joe Watson crossing the ball to the far post to Leigh Quilty who in turn crossed first time to the in-running Robbie Whelan who headed past goalkeeper Dean Purcell from six yards range.

That goal seemed to kick-start Villa into action, Paul Omotoso fired in an angled shot from the left which went narrowly wide of the far upright.

Ian Cantwell then played a magnificent ball through the Tramore defence on twenty four minutes but Mark O'Reilly advanced quickly to take the ball off the Villa player. Three minutes later Ian Cantwell almost scored himself with a thundering pile-driver from thirty yards but the ball went inched over the Tramore crossbar.

Villa continued to up the pressure on Tramore and it came as no surprise when they got back on level terms one minute into time added on in the first half.

Danny Walsh produced a little bit of magic out on the right, leaving two Tramore players in his wake before crossing to central defender Declan Furlong who had moved forward and the classy defender side foooted the ball past the helpless Mark O'Reilly.

Villa were on the attack again as the second half got under way, Eoin Ginnitty played the ball forward to Paul Omotoso who had every right to chase the ball but unfortunately he clashed with Mark O'Reilly and the Tramore keeper had to leave the game. Five minutes later replacement keeper Ian Daly was picking the ball out of his net.

Eoin Ginnitty sent over a corner kick from the right and once again Declan Furlong had moved froward and he found the net, this time with a bullet like header. Tramore were rocking at this stage as attack after attack followed, three minutes later Villa made it three one with one of the goals of the season.

Danny Walsh picked up the ball just inside his own half before playing the ball forward to Paul Omotoso who ran thirty yards with the ball before slipping it past the advancing Ian Daly.

Tramore were reduced to 10 men on 80 seven minutes when Craig Maher took down Paul Omotoso from behind and the referee had no option but to show the red card to Maher.

One minute into stoppage the rampaging Danny Walsh sent in a blistering shot from the right which Ian Daly could only parry, and Jimmy Barry duly applied the finish from close range to give Villa a comfortable win by four goals to one.

Villa: Dean Purcell, Simon Keane, Eoin Ginnitty, Declan Furlong, Ian Sullivan, Nicky Corcoran, Ian Cantwell, Paul Omotoso, Stephen Murphy, Danny Walsh, Jimmy Barry.

Sub: David Murphy for Omotoso (88 mins)

Tramore: Mark O'Reilly, Francis Rockett, Craig Maher, Stephen Grant, Michael Grant, Martin Whelan, Sean Browne, Robbie Phelan, Christopher Grace, Joe Watson, Leigh Quilty.

Subs: Ian Daly for O'Reilly (60 mins) Ian Stenson for Browne (69 mins) Coln Walsh for Michael Grant (74 mins)

Referee: Tony Walsh.

paul elliott