| 10.3°C Dublin

dunboyne prove top of the class

Castleknock Celtic..............................2

Dunboyne FC......................................3

THE foggy dew out at Porterstown Park last Saturday. But, despite the mist, it was easy to see that everybody was glad to be back out on the turf.

And you didn't need 3D glasses to enjoy this 14 Major contest that saw Dunboyne recover from two goals down.

Most of their side are pupils at St Peter's, Dunboyne, the subject of the recent hit RTE series 'The School.'

It was obvious that in spite of the bad weather, the Dunboyne boys had been doing their homework. On this showing, they are likely to storm up the table.

They played some excellent football in the first half. They could easily have had a couple of goals in the bank at the break where it remained scoreless.

Gary Harper's early effort squirted onto the Celtic post, while Andy Creevy and Paul O'Reilly also went close for Dunboyne.

But everything had changed utterly within four minutes of the second period. Remarkably, Castleknock were two to the good, both goals coming from Aaron Mooney.

Mooney's opening goal came from a swift turn and a crisp first-time delivery, with his second coming from a confidently converted penalty.

It was a heavy double blow for the visitors who had, by and large, been dominating the script.

A voice on the Dunboyne line shouted: "Castleknock had two shots and two goals." It wasn't far from the truth.

But how would the Royals respond. That was the intriguing question as the spectators cradled their hot cups from Celtic's Coffee Dock.

The answers came quickly. Six minutes into the half, Dunboyne pegged one back.

David Beattie swung over a corner from the right at the car park end. Creevy turned it in.

Creevy's pace, skill and determination gave the hosts plenty of concern and it was he who nipped in for the equaliser in the 48th minute.

Before that, Alan Martin, with a clever, long-range lob, brought the best out of home goalkeeper, Kevin McGovern, who did well to push the ball away for a corner.

The winner, 17 minutes from time, was a classical piece of finishing from Beattie who showed tidy feet on the edge of the box before finding the pocket. Celtic toiled to salvage a point. They created a couple of half chances. But determined Dunboyne had pulled down the shutters.

The fog never lifted, but after watching this one, the spirits did.

Castleknock Celtic: Conor Timoney; David Costello, Eoin Conran, Keith Farrell, Joey Maher, Barry Linnane, Klevis Kaprica, Luke Bennett, Aaron Mooney, Keelin McKiernan, Eoin Newman. Ian Watkins, Dan Ring, Jack Kennedy, Kevin McGovern.

Dunboyne FC: Eoghan O'Dwyer; Alan Martin, Tiernan Buckley, Cathal Meehan, Andrew Markey, David Beattie, Ben Carolan, Gary Harper, Andy Creevy, Seamus Lavin, Paul O'Reilly. Conor O'Dwyer, Tommy Lyons, Daryl White, Ronan Dunne.

Referee: Paul McEvoy