| 9.3°C Dublin

darragh strikes to dump out desmonds

WICKLow League...................... 2

Limerick Desmond League.......... 1

(After Extra-Time)

Darragh Cullethon fired in the extra time winner as Wicklow advanced to the Quarter Finals of the FAI Youth Inter-League Cup.

But they were given a stern test by a brave Limerick side at the Bridgewater Centre in Arklow last Saturday afternoon.

The second round clash was in the first minute of injury time in the first period of extra time when the Garden County outfit grabbed the vital score.

Sub Peter Walker linked with Jonathan Kelty whose reverse pass out left found the unmarked Culleton.

From 20 yards, his first time shot took a slight deflection as it whistled low past away keeper Shane Sullivan and nestled in the far bottom corner of the net.

It sets up a last eight clash for Brian Byrne and Daragh Murray's charges away to either Donegal or West Waterford/East Cork at the end of the month.

Wicklow had taken a 36th minute after a fine moved that finally matched their approach play and dominant possession.

Culleton's burst from right to left saw Jack Tim Murphy play an exquisite back-hell for Daniel Ledwith to latch onto. From 15-yard out, he angled a low drive across Sullivan.

Having had to play second fiddle to the hosts in the first half, the

visitors upped their game after the interval. But only after Scallan drove twice just off the target twice before the hour from outside the 18-yard area.

It took a cracking reaction stop to prevent Limerick equalising in the 61st minute.

Tony Quaid played a neat one-two with Thomas O'Callaghan only for Jason Earls to push the ball around his post off Quaid's half volley.


And the Munster men deservedly drew level in the 64th minute. Quaid whipped in a left wing corner right footed. Earls spilled right under his bar and the ball fell to Tony Shanahan at the back stick.

His header was blocked on the line by Aaron Barry but the ball rebounded back off Shanahan who somehow bundled it over the line.

Ledwith (three times), Kelty and Walker all went close to giving the home team victory before the final whistle of normal time.

With the tie still 1-1 in extra time, Sullivan thwarted Paul Rice with a tip-over save.

In the second period, both Walker and Scallan spurned further opportunities to put the gloss on the win.

Wicklow League: Jason Earls; Ciaran Byrne, James Scallan, Paul Rice, Aaron Barry, Jack Tim Murphy, Daniel Ledwith, Adam Hanlon, Jonathan Kelty; Dara Verney, Darragh Culleton. Subs: Domhnall Minogue (for Murphy 53 mins), Karl Kirwan (for Hanlon 67 mins), Peter Walker (for Verney 70 mins), Dean McCormack, Keith Armstrong, Clive Crammond, Nathan Condell (all not used).

Limerick Desmond League: Shane Sullivan; Shane Doherty, Donnacha Woods, Sean White, Chris Hayes; Peter Nash, Jason Broaders, Darren Murphy, Thomas O'Callaghan; Tony Quaid, Gary Shanahan. Subs: Darren Walsh (for White 61 mins), John Murray (for Hayes 88 mins).

Referee: Lee Bevans. Assistants: Paul O'Brien, David Jameson (all Wicklow ISRS).