| 7.2°C Dublin

Curtin and McMahon send Kinvara clear in Division 2

Kenny Garvey made it seven goals in his last four games as a hat trick helped pave the way for Boys Club's 5-1 win over Loughrea in yesterday's Western Hygiene Supplies Second Division contest at The Jesuit's.

The victory maintained their promotion push, but they had to rely on an impressive second half performance where they cracked home four without reply in order to secure the points. Indeed it was the visitors who broke the deadlock with an early penalty, before Garvey levelled matters to leave the sides tied at the break.

However the resumption saw Boys Club take over as Garvey added two more while Damien Carter and Kieran Caldwell completed their tally.

However Kinvara are the new Second Division leaders as they ran out comfortable 3-1 winners over Oughterard. The sides were level at the break as Paul Keane and Danial Tuck exchanged goals, but the resumption saw Kinvara pull away courtesy of strikes by Cathal Curtin and David Mahon.

In the Third Division, promotion chasing Craughwell United had to come from two down before eventually seeing off the Knocknacarra by 4-2 as Niall Callinan (2), Ian Danials and Ian Prendergast all found the net.

First Division leaders St Bernard's came good when hammering MacDara by 8-1 in Abbeyknockmoy. Four up at the break, they were always in command as Jason Finn (3), Kevin Ruane (2), Daryl Finn, Mark Finn and Damien Flaherty all found the net with comfort.

A second half penalty by substitute Mike Ward gave St Patrick's a 1-0 home win over promotion chasing Dynamo Blues in Caherlistrane.

With Premier Division leaders Corrib Rangers not in action, second placed Athenry closed the gap as a second half Mark Moran goal gave them a 1-0 midweek win over Mervue United, while in Bohermore a last minute Jason Curran header gave Hibernians a 3-3 draw with the students of NUIGalway.

The College side were in command in the opening half as Vinny Corrigan, Mikey Creane and Gareth Gorman all hit the target, but goals by Brian Griffin, Stephen Walsh and Curran gave the home side a deserved share of the spoils by the finish.

East United were 1-0 winners over Tuam Celtic in the Connacht Junior Cup as they set up a quarter final meeting with Hibernians.

Scoreless at the break, they got a fortuitous winner when a Kenny Lydon shot took a deflection off Gerard Cuniffe as it left visiting goalkeeper John Trayers flatfooted.

Ronan Quinlivan and Laurence Forde were on target for Corrib Rangers as they defeated Colmanstown by 2-0 in the Michael Byrne Cup.

The Galway U18 side return to action on Sunday next when they face the Mayo League in the last eight of the FAI Youth Inter League.

The Tribesmen will be hoping to go one better than last season when they were beaten in the final.