| 5.3°C Dublin

Berry bears fruit

Last season FC Town played their football in Division 3 Sunday, they won promotion to Division 2 and it looks like they will be in the Major next year.

Yesterday they not only showed that they would be entitled to play in the top flight, but they would be a force to be reckoned with.

With their numbers reduced to 10 they had the leaders of that division hanging on by the skin of their teeth for a place in the next round. A good old-fashioned blood and guts cup tie played in a mudbath -- ah memories.

Indeed, it might have been a different story altogether as Town looked to be causing a bit of an upset when they shot two goals clear with only 10 on the clock.

Paddy Collins and Pat McDonagh both latching onto defensive errors to score.

Town though shot themselves in the foot somewhat in minute 33 when they conceded a penalty and had their second goalscorer dismissed for dissent in the same incident.

Paul Quinn dispatched the spot-kick with aplomb and three minutes before the break the sides were level.

Paul Berry got on the end of a Paul Walsh cross from the right to scramble home at the far post.

Town restored the lead on 52 when Paddy Collins notched his second from the spot after a hand ball in the area.

Four minutes later we were tied again, Berry once more his time with his head from a Keith Foley delivery.

Then a lull in proceedings as both sides endeavoured to stem the goalscoring tide. We had to wait until 12 minutes from time for what proved to be the winner for the Major side.

Walsh won the race to get on the end of Stephen Ganley's long punt and he fed Berry again for his hat-trick.

Town will lie down now you thought, but quite the opposite they laid siege on the United goal. Michael Collins' deft chip had Ganley scampering to concede a corner with 5 remaining. He then headed inches over from that corner dispatched by Paddy Collins.

Pat Collins saw his glancing header drift inches wide from a John Rattigan free and Michael Collins was denied by a last ditch block from Leo Masterson in the final minute.

Wyteleaf held on but if they should go on and win the big one they will remember a cold day in February on a mud stained pitch when they got out of jail big time.

FC Town: Tom Collins, Paddy Gallagher, John Rattigan, Martin McDonald, Patrick Collins, Michael McDonald, Joe McDonagh, Joe McDonald, Paddy Collins, Patrick McDonagh, Paul Rattigan. Subs: John Collins, Martin Collins, Michael Collins.

Wyteleaf United: Stephen Ganley, Barry Scully, Andy Hennigan, Paul Lawlor, Leo Masterson, Paul Quinn, Keith Foley, Colin Mastersdon, Paul Walsh, Paul Berry, Alan Brigette. Subs: James Kavanagh, Derek Palmer, Keith Behan, Derek Browne, Damien Murphy.