| 5.5°C Dublin

All Blacks singing to Sinnott's beat

ALL BLACKS were always the masters as three early first half goals set them up for a comprehensive victory over Cushinstown in this Air Con Mech Wexford Cup second round game at Ballycogley on Sunday morning last.

The script for this cup clash was torn up very early on with little hope of the underdogs causing a shock as All Blacks hit they with a flurry of early attacks that produced three well executed goals inside the opening twenty-five minutes.

Played in very heavy underfoot conditions with water on top of the surface in several area of the pitch the players found it difficult to play any flowing football with the ball constantly sticking around the centre of the pitch. But credit to All Blacks who capped a bright opening with three goals before the conditions deteriorated.

The game was only ten minutes old when All Blacks took the lead. It was their Player-Manager Patrick Sinnott who set the tone for what was to follow when he smacked in a great goal from twenty metres leaving keeper Brendan O'Neill helpless.

With Cushinstown unable to make an impression in midfied, it was no surprise when the homeside increased their lead after twenty minutes, when Robert Cousins availed of slackness in defence to steer a low ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Showing great creativity through Sinnott and Graham Healy, it was Healy who got on the end of a Sinnott pass to fire high into the net past a startled O'Neill in the visitors goal leaving his side with a handsome 3-0 lead.

Cushinstown were making no impression on this game leaving it to the All Blacks to play all the football with a Gavin Furlong header taking a wicked deflection from a Gary Redmond corner to make it 4-0 at the break.

As the ground continued to deteriorate it was now turning into more of a kick and rush affair but still Cushinstown to their credit managed to pull a goal back when Ken Murray found the net with a right footed shot from just inside the left edge of the area on fifty-seven minutes.

Technically, All Blacks were the superior outfit, and they were never going to slip up in this game. After sixty-five minutes they killed off any hope Cushinstown had of a revival when Graham Healy showed nice pace and control down the left wing, cut inside before laying the ball off to the inrushing Emmett O'Brien who was left with the simple task of placing the ball in the bottom left hand corner of the net.

All Blacks showed strength of character, delivered a performance, and rightfully take their place in the third round draw, while for Cushinstown it's back to league action where they will be hoping for better fortune over the coming months.

All Blacks: Davy Furlong, Noel Casey, Jamie Moore, Alan Jones, Frank Staples, Gavin Furlong, Emmett O'Brien, Patrick Sinnott, Gary Redmond, Graham Healy, Robbie Cousins. Subs: Jimmy Staples, Gary Sinnott.

Cushinstown: Brendan O'Neill, Ian Gaffney, Mark Connick, Sean McGrath, John Tait, Ken Murray, Sean McCarr, Mick Dunne, James Whelan, Mark O'Connor, Tommy Maher. Subs: Martin Leacy, Neil Merrigan.

Referee: Jim Kelly.