Stoke boss Mark Hughes admits he probably would not have allowed Robert Huth to leave the club on loan had he known Ryan Shawcross would suffer an injury.
Potters captain Shawcross is set to be absent for the next few games due to a back injury that forced him off in the first half of last Saturday's 3-1 Premier League victory over QPR. It was announced two days later that fellow centre-back Huth had left Stoke to join Leicester on loan for the rest of the season. But Hughes says the deal had been "completed" the previous Friday and that it was too late for it to be halted by the time Shawcross sustained his problem.
The manager - who is set to pair Marc Muniesa with Philipp Wollscheid at the heart of his defence for Sunday's top-flight away clash with Newcastle - said of the Huth switch at his pre-match press conference: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if we had (known Shawcross would get injured) we probably would have stepped back, away from allowing Robert to go.
"But things had moved on, everything was in place and it had been signed off. There wasn't any room to manoeuvre on that."
Huth would not have been eligible to play against Newcastle tomorrow anyway as he still has one game left to serve of the two-match suspension he was handed by the English FA after breaching rules relating to social media comments.
But he may have seen some action for Stoke soon after, with Shawcross looking set for at least a couple of weeks on the sidelines with an injury Hughes has confirmed relates to the 27-year-old's back.