MARK HUGHES was set to take charge of QPR training today after claims he had been sacked were denied last night.
Hughes met with QPR chief executive Philip Beard - who Tony Fernandes sent to fire Neil Warnock - at the club's training ground in west London yesterday, sparking rumours the 45-year-old could lose his position as R's boss after just 10 months in charge.
But Hughes' representative Kia Joorabchian denied the former Manchester City boss had been sacked last night and QPR sources also insisted the Welshman remained in charge.
The significance of Hughes not overseeing yesterday's training session was also played down by the club, who said it was common practice given the squad were in for a light session.
Hughes was expected to go back to the club's base in Harlington to take today's full session and begin the process of planning for QPR's trip to Manchester United this weekend.
Although Hughes remained in his job, pressure on the former Blackburn boss will increase unless he starts winning matches soon.
Despite a summer of huge investment, Rangers are rock bottom of the Premier League, winless and five points from safety.
And Hughes' problems worsened yesterday after it emerged that QPR are considering whether top scorer Bobby Zamora should have a hip operation that would rule him out for a considerable amount of time.
Chairman Fernandes has given Hughes his unequivocal backing on Twitter in recent weeks, but was less forthcoming following Saturday's loss to fellow strugglers Southampton.
He said: "I feel gutted. I have put my heart and soul into this with my other shareholders and done all we can to give support to players and all management.
"I can only apologise to the QPR fans. We keep fighting.
"Let me tell you fans come first. Everyone including me let the fans down. Many of us need a hard look at themselves. QPR has amazing fans. They deserve better."