| 15.2°C Dublin

home rule as bohs corc' it

THE old stagers and bright young talents are combining well at Bohemians to see the club into the last eight of the FAI Cup and a chance of their first trophy since the club's financial collapse in 2010.

Bohs secured a place in today's draw for the quarter-finals thanks to a 1-0 win over Cork City in a replay at Dalymount Park last night where Dinny Corcoran's first-half goal made the difference, the second round in succession where Owen Heary's side knocked out a team from Munster.

Youthful players Kevin Devaney (23), Roberto Lopes and Eoin Wearen (both 21) played a key role but elder statesmen such as Dean Delany, Jason Byrne and Dave Mulcahy, with a combined age of 105, are also vital figures for this Bohs side.

Delany and Mulcahy made decisive interventions to keep Cork - who are expected to complete the sale of U21 cap Brian Lenihan to Hull City later today - scoreless and earn a hard-fought win in front of a disappointing crowd of 695.

Cork still have a lot to play for this season and this Cup exit will only embolden John Caulfield's men in their bid to land the league title, but progress in the Cup is very welcome at a Dalymount Park which has been starved of success in recent seasons.

The drawn game in Cork on Friday was an open affair, packed with goals and close shaves, but last night's tie was much tighter. It took until the eighth minute for the first real chance to arrive, Kevin Devaney forcing a save from City keeper Mark McNulty and while Cork enjoyed lots of possession, they found it hard to get close enough to Dean Delany's goal to cause him bother.

The defence in front of Delaney were doing their job but their task was made more difficult when impressive centre half Dan Byrne was forced out of the action on 26 minutes, following earlier clashes with Billy Dennehy and Mark O'Sullivan.

That forced Bohs to rehsape their side, captain Dave Mulcahy moved from midfield into a central defensive role with sub Craig Walsh coming into the midfield.

Mulcahy was needed in the 27th minute, clearing the ball off the line after Delany had saved from O'Sullivan,a vital intervention from the Bohs veteran.

And the rejigged Bohs side had their goal five minutes before half time. A cross from right back Roberto Lopes came to Eoin Wearen, and his rebounded effort fell for Corcoran to score his 12th goal of the season from close range.

Keeper Delany was needed straight after the restart, denying Garry Buckley an almost certain goal, and on 56 minutes he was vital for Bohs yet again, saving from a Billy Dennehy effort which then came off the post.

City sensed that they needed something big to get back into the tie, but for all the prodding of the classy Colin Healy in the middle Bohs stood form, though they needed a firm tackle from Derek Pender to deny Mark O'Sullivan on 70 minutes.

Cork were still not beaten and they pressed in the closing minutes, Delany doing the needful again from a GearĂ³id Morrissey shot and then a Colin Healy free kick in injury time, but Delany and Bohs were unbreachable.