| 12.7°C Dublin

Dundalk given a dose of the Blues

Dundalk 2-2 Waterford

Boss Perth hits back at Sheridan over comments


MISS: Patrick Hoban reacts during the clash against Waterford

MISS: Patrick Hoban reacts during the clash against Waterford

MISS: Patrick Hoban reacts during the clash against Waterford

Dundalk manager Vinny Perth has accused former Ireland international John Sheridan of showing disrespect to the League of Ireland, Perth claiming that the Waterford boss labelled it as a "pub league".

The Lilywhites had to come from 2-0 down to earn a 2-2 draw at home to the Blues, the loss of two points doing damage to their faint hopes of retaining their league title, and Dundalk must now regroup for next week's test away to Slovenian side NK Celje in the Champions League.

But there was little love lost between the two coaches after the game, Perth claiming that Sheridan had labelled the League of Ireland as a "pub league".

"I don't expect him to know who I am. He said the league is a shambles, a pub league. I don't have time for that. I love this league," said Perth, downbeat after a poor display from his side in this draw.

"This league means too much to people like me, it's a good league, full of quality, and that behaviour is not good enough.

"He can take the high ground and good luck to him but it's not a pub league, not a shambles. 'The reason you are playing at Dundalk is that you are shite', that sort of stuff.

"That's poor English league stuff and we have to be better than that. I will defend our league, wherever I am, as a coach here at the best club or back at Malahide United, I will defend this league to a height, but that's not good enough and I don't accept that," he added.

Sheridan, whose Blues side are unbeaten in three games since he took charge, tried to play down the spat. "It wasn't row. Whatever he feels, whatever he feels," he said of Perth.

But Sheridan was clearly the happier manager, even though his side turned a 2-0 win into a 2-2 draw with the concession of late goals.

Matthew Smith put the Blues ahead on 24 minutes, ex-Dundalk man Kurtis Byrne made it 2-0 four minutes into the second half.

Dundalk rallied with late goals from Pat Hoban and Daniel Cleary but were unable to nick the winner.