| 10.2°C Dublin

Drogs bite Bohs to set up cup run

MICK COOKE'S Drogheda United look like they are capable of cooking up yet another cup run as they eased into the next round of the FAI Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win away to Bohemians last night.

Bohs, second-bottom in the league, came into this game knowing that their only possible route to Europe and their only release (bar the League Cup) from a relegation battle was the FAI Cup, but a limp Gypsies side put up little resistance to Drogheda, who advanced to the next round thanks to goals from Stephen Quigley, a career first for the veteran defender, Declan O'Brien and Philip Hand.


Having won the League Cup last season, made the Setanta Cup final this season as well as progressing this term in the League Cup and FAI Cup, Drogheda are showing a real ability to win one-off matches, and Cooke was delighted with his side last night.

"Once we got the first goal that was it, they faded and it was nice to have the cushion of a two-goal lead at half time," said Cooke. "I thought that they would have offered more in the second half but they didn't and our third goal killed it off.

"We are enjoying the cups now, we're in the last eight of the League Cup and the last 16 of the FAI Cup, you might need a lucky draw in the next round but we are just happy to be there.

"And I was delighted to see Stephen Quigley score a goal at last.

"I was telling him that he was in the same category as Ashley Cole and Gary Neville in never scoring a goal.

"That was his first last night and that was great for him."

Bohs found themselves a goal down before they had even found their stride, as in the fifth minute Jason Marks whipped in a cross from the left and defender Stephen Quigley fired past Dean Delany for a rare goal.

There was a response from Bohs, a Ryan McEvoy free kick striking the post on 18 minutes after keeper Gabriel Sava failed to collect, and on 23 minutes Drogheda needed a goal-line clearance from Paul O'Conor to keep out a Keith Buckley shot.

But when the next goal came, it came from the away side, Declan O'Brien heading past Delany from another Marks cross to give United a 2-0 lead.

With the game clearly ebbing away from them Bohs needed a lift and manager Aaron Callaghan made a half-time switch, replacing Dwayne Wilson with Kevin O'Leary, and the Bohs sub almost nicked a goal 10 minutes into the second half only for keeper Sava to clear.


But there was little else of interest from Bohs who were caught off-guard once again on 66 minutes, as sub Philip Hand was left free to finish off from a clever pass from Peter Hynes.

A crowd of just 925 saw the game peter out after that as Drogheda, who face Dundalk in their local derby next weekend, eased off with the win already in the bag while Bohs could do no better than an off-target effort from Michael Barker and a weakly struck shot from Karl Moore in injury time.

Bohs, with four defeats in their last five home games, can only hope for better in their next test, away to league champions Sligo Rovers.