| 16.6°C Dublin

DDSL ease past Kildare amid signings dispute

THE DDSL followed up their opening-day success against WWEC with a similar 3-0 margin against the Kildare League yesterday, but on this occasion with a decidedly better performance at the University of Limerick.

The encounter had been a much-anticipated showdown after complaints from within the Lilywhites League against DDSL clubs who had signed players allegedly from outside of the now infamous 49km SFAI ruling.

But the off-field politics were put aside as Martin Doyle's DDSL Cup holders squared up to Brian Kaye's Kildare side, which came into the game on the back of an impressive opening-day success over the South Dublin Football League.

But it was the DDSL – yet to concede a goal – who maintained their stranglehold on Group 5 with a polished display in front of a bumper crowd on Pitch Five.

After an initial 'feeling-out' period, it was the Dubs who took control as their slick passing and movement was finally rewarded when Michael Cregan netted the opener. Aaron O'Driscoll – son of ex-St Patrick's Athletic legend Maurice O'Driscoll – doubled the lead with a textbook header from a corner, into the roof of the net past a stranded John McKenna in the Kildare goal.

A second-half finish from Callum Brunnell of Cherry Orchard completed the scoring as the holders eased to victory.

Manager Martin Doyle was pleased with the performance, but insisted, ominously, there was still more improvement in the tank from the Dubs after the Joe Breen-captained Kildare boys were comprehensively defeated.

"Defensively we looked comfortable and we started well and it was an improvement of the opening game," said Doyle.

"Technically the players are very comfortable on the ball and we just needed to work more as a team and today we got more end product as a result.

"It was a much better performance, but I still feel we have a lot more to give."

Meanwhile, the NDSL could only manage a draw in their second Group 2 Umbro Kennedy Cup game, leaving them needing a win from the final group game against Kerry to progress to the quarter-finals.

Yesterday they had to fight from a goal down to escape with a point.

West Cork's Daniel McSweeney fired the Munster side ahead from the penalty spot after 15 minutes, but the Dubliners were level shortly afterwards, thanks to a neat finish from Raheny United's Mikey Murphy.

The second half was a scrappy affair and the NDSL were fortunate not to fall behind again when West Cork switched penalty takers and this time Eoghan O'Connell blasted over from 12 yards.

Anything less than a win against the Kingdom will see the NDSL – cup winners two years ago – drop out of the main competition.


Group 1: Limerick District 2, Cavan Monaghan 1; Limerick Desmond 2, South Tipperary 2.

Group 2: NDSL 1 ,West Cork 1; Kerry 3, Roscommon 0.

Group 3: Wexford 2, Wicklow 0; Donegal 1, Clare 0.

Group 4: Cork 4, Carlow 1; Longford 2, Sligo/ Leitrim 1.

Group 5: DDSL 3, Kildare 0; SDFL 4, WWEC 0.

Group 6: Midlands 1, Mayo 1; Limerick County 2, Galway 0.

Group 7: Waterford 4, Inishowen 0; Athlone 2, NEC 2.

Group 8: Kilkenny 0, North Tipperary 1; Dundalk 3, Drogheda 0.