| 6.2°C Dublin

Bisto gives Bohs scent of cup joy

A TASTE of Bisto helped Bohemians get out of jail and into the last four of the FAI Cup last night.

Bohs will join St Patrick's Athletic and Sligo Rovers, and either Shelbourne or Limerick FC, in next Monday's draw for the Cup semi-finals thanks to last night's 1-0 replay win at home to Dundalk.

But it was a very laboured win, secured with a goal in extra-time from Anto ‘Bisto' Flood and the Gypsies will need to come up with an awful lot more if they are to finish the season with the cup in their trophy cabinet.

Bohs' league form has been impressive recently, with eight wins from 11 games, and Fenlon's men are insisting that, despite the fact that they're eight points behind leaders Derry City, they're still in contention for the league title, odds of 50/1 on a possible Bohs league triumph tempting some of the more optimistic Gypsies to take a punt.

A tired Bohs looked anything but title contenders last night, struggling to overcome a young Dundalk side who played the last 15 minutes of normal time, and then the added 30 minutes, with 10 men after centre half Dean Bennett was sent off.

Dundalk boss Ian Foster was sent from the dugout in extra-time for protesting at the failure of referee Tomas Connolly to award a penalty after Greg Bolger was felled in the box.

By the time of Foster's dismissal Bohs had the lead, former Dundalk player Flood scoring his 10th goal of the season in the 17th minute of extra time with a header\[Shane Hegarty\] as Flood got his head on the end of from a Mark Rossiter cross/shot to beat Peter Cherrie in the Dundalk goal.

Flood admits that it was far from vintage stuff from the home side in front of a disappointing crowd of 1,109.

“It wasn't our best performance of the season and maybe we got out of jail a bit, but we got the result and we're in the semi-final of the Cup, so we have to be happy with that,” he said.

“There was a lot of tension out there, you could see our passes going astray in the first 10 to 15 minutes and that just continued on.

“We had some momentum behind us from the last few games.

“We'd been playing well in the last while but it just wasn't there for us last night, we never got out of first gear.

“Even late on it looked like it was heading for penalties and we had our penalty takers ready.

“But we hung in there and dug |out the win. It was nice for me on a personal level to score but the most important thing is that we're there.

“We're in the semi-final and that's something we're all looking forward to.” For Dundalk, defeat was harder to take due to decisions which went against them. “I had fears coming here and my greatest fears unfolded before my eyes,” saidmanager Ian Foster. “A lot of decisions went Bohemians' way, we expect it a lot when we come to Dublin, but last night it was embarrassing. That was the first time I have been sent to the stands and if you can't contest decisions, then what are you a manager for, it's part and parcel of the game.”