BARCELONA president Sandro Rosell said last night he had resigned in the aftermath of a Spanish court's decision to investigate last year's signing of Brazil forward Neymar.
"The success the club has had has also come along with difficult moments for myself and my family," Rosell told a news conference after a board meeting held by the Spanish champions.
"There have been threats and accusations which make you consider your position including the claim of misappropriation of funds and the court case. I've always stated that we acted correctly with the Neymar transfer."
On Wednesday, Judge Pablo Ruz issued an order to open a hearing to investigate Barcelona for the alleged misappropriation of funds over the €57m signing of Neymar and that a decision would be made at a later date whether Rosell would be called in person to give evidence.
After a preliminary examination of the contracts involved in Neymar's signing, Judge Ruz wrote in a ruling there is "sufficient elements for the admission of the lawsuit" brought by club member Jordi Cases.
On Monday, Rosell insisted the total cost of €57m to bring Neymar from Brazilian club Santos announced at the player's presentation last June was correct.
Cases alleges the amount paid by the Spanish champions was higher and that Rosell misappropriated funds by hiding the real cost to the club behind false contracts, a criminal offence punishable by up to six years in prison.
Cases, however, said: "The lawsuit is against Rosell, not against Barca."