| 15.3°C Dublin

Axel serves up latest dose of Blues for Bohs


POWERING ON: Joseph Ndo of Sligo Rovers holds off Cork's Shane Duggan at Turner's Cross last night.

POWERING ON: Joseph Ndo of Sligo Rovers holds off Cork's Shane Duggan at Turner's Cross last night.

POWERING ON: Joseph Ndo of Sligo Rovers holds off Cork's Shane Duggan at Turner's Cross last night.

Limerick travelled east to face Bohemians and left with all three points with Axel Bossekota's goal ensuring a 1-0 win at Dalymount Park.

Limerick dominated the early exchanges and Shane Tracy forced Dean Delany into a fine save on eight minutes.

Both sides created half-chances in the first period but it was scoreless at the break.

Danny Galbraith came close to a fabulous solo goal but his effort was tipped over by Delany as both sides looked dangerous but chances were hard to come by.

A goal did arrive on 64 minutes for the visitors as Galbraith found Axel Bossekota and he found the bottom corner. And that's how it remained.

It was another frustrating night for Trevor Croly and Shamrock Rovers as they were held to a goalless draw at the Carlisle Grounds by Bray Wanderers.

Shamrock Rovers assumed control from the off with Thomas Stewart and Gary McCabe missing gilt-edged chances to go in front.

Bray gradually came into it and the home side had an appeal for a penalty after a tackle on Kieran Marty Waters on 28 minutes but the ref waved it away and it remained goalless at the break.

Ronan Finn narrowly missed the target on the resumption with the visitors shading affairs.

The miserly Bray defence was keeping the Hoops out. They did find the net in injury time but Ken Oman's header was disallowed as the red determined that he had been pushing in the lead-up.

Sligo Rovers remain four points behind St Patrick's Athletic at the top of the Airtricity League after a 3-1 loss to Cork City at Turner's Cross.

Both sides traded chances early on, Sligo enjoyed the majority of possession but the Cork defence stood firm and it remained 0-0 to the break.

The deadlock was broken four minutes after the restart when Daryl Horgan pounced on a loose back-pass from Joseph Ndo before chipping the onrushing Gary Rogers.

Cork doubled their advantage on 74 minutes and Horgan was again the scorer after he evaded Alan Keane's tackle and found the bottom corner.

David McMillan, who just signed for Sligo from UCD during the week, got the champions back in it with a goal with seven minutes remaining but the Rebels cancelled it out within 60 seconds through Cork's new signing Ciaran Kilduff.

Derry City have blown a chance to join St Pats at the top of the league after Tiarnan Mulvenna pilfered all three points for Dundalk on their visit to the Brandywell with a late goal on a 1-0 win.

There were no goals in the opening half with Richard Towell forcing a fine save from Ger Doherty in the best chance of the half.

The second half began with both sides lacking the necessary guile to unlock the other.

A goalless stalemate looked on the cards until the first minute of injury time when Dundalk launched a counter-attack and Mulvenna slipped the ball past Ger Doherty.

The win means that Dundalk have kept their slim title hopes alive.