| 2.9°C Dublin

Soccer: íde away to more success

TALLAGHT'S Coláiste de híde completed an incredible treble on Monday when they saw off Clonskeagh's St Kilian's Deutsche Schule in the Metropolitan League final.

Just weeks after adding the All-Ireland title to their Leinster Senior B crown, de híde capped a flawless season by claiming league success in Terenure's VEC Grounds.

Eoin ó Riain's second-half header proved to be the difference between the sides on the day and meant the Tallaght school had one more trophy to parade at Tuesday evening's Airtricity League clash between Shamrock Rovers and St Patrick's Athletic.

The secondary school was invited to show off their Leinster and All-Ireland trophies at a packed Tallaght Stadium, and Monday's victory only added further to the occasion.

Ironically, Kilian's were de híde's opponents in the Leinster Senior B final and the side they beat to kick-start their historic season.

The Tallaght secondary school ran out convincing 3-0 winners on that occasion but this was a much tighter affair from the very start.

Kilian's striker Jack Worrall had the best chance of the first half, but he could not find a way past goalkeeper Seán de Bluinsín when he was played through on goal.

Aaron Ó Briain went close with a long-range effort for de híde after some good work down the left by Seán Mac Róibín, but the sides went in goalless at the break.

Dean Ó Braonáin almost capitalised on a run of corners for the Tallaght school in the opening periods of the second-half but his header crashed back off the crossbar.


Eoin Ó Riain tried his luck from all of 30 yards and, although the keeper looked beaten, the shot just cleared the woodwork, before another shot from Ó Riain took a massive deflection and crept just wide of the post minutes later.

Despite picking up a hamstring injury, captain Dylan Ó Broin led his side to the crucial breakthrough as the half wore on.

His defence-splitting throughball sent substitute Dónal O Riain racing free down the right wing and he delivered a pinpoint cross for namesake Eoin to head home.

Goalkeeper De Bluinsín had to be alert on several occasions as Kilian's pressured for an equaliser almost immediately, mainly from set pieces.

Aaron Ó Briain had a chance to wrap up the win as the clocked ticked down towards the final whistle, but his shot lacked the power to trouble the Kilian's goalkeeper and in the end de híde made do with the single goal.

"It was an incredible way to end an amazing season for us," admitted de híde manager Daithí ó Murchú.

"Especially seeing as we paraded the trophies at Tallaght Stadium on Tuesday evening; it was great to have another one to bring along in the end.

"Throughout the season and in all three finals our captain Dylan Ó Broin, in particular, has been incredible and really led the lads to these victories. He played with an injury in Monday's final and still managed to be an inspirational figure to his team-mates."

SQUADS -- Coláiste de híde: Seán de Bluinsín, Naoise Ó Cónaráin, Jamie Ó Néill, Dean Ó Braonáin, Seán Ó Donnabháin, Eoin Ó Riain, Padraig de Corbhaile, Dylan Ó Broin, Stiofán Ó Ceallaigh, Aaron Ó Briain, Seán Mac Róibín, Dónal Ó Riain, Pádraig Ó Dubhaigh, Cillian Ó Cearúil, Corey Dardis. St Kilian's: Keanu Fischell, Arin Boyalikli, Jack Worrall, David Shine, Colm Crowley, Stuart Gourlay, Patrick Mascot, Dami Ogunyami, Simon Pals, Darragh Payne, Ciaran Lebrun, Federico Garau, Roman Hural, Brian McCann, John Maher, Nika Arevadze, Neil Rowan, Alvaro Garcia.