| 7.4°C Dublin

Gaelic Football: UCD and DIT both suffer late, late Fitzgibbon agony

UCD and DIT were both denied important victories by injury-time scores in their respective second round group games in Group B of the Fitzgibbon Cup yesterday, writes Conor McKeon.

A Finian Coone free deep into injury time snatched a draw for NUIG against UCD in Belfield after the Dublin side looked to have sneaked victory.

Having spent most of the second half in arrears, Liam Rushe's late free edged UCD in front but from the resultant puck-out, UCD wing-forward Maurice Nolan, was adjudged to have fouled the sliotar, thus handing Coone his game-saving free.

Rushe finished the match with 0-5 (5f), while David O'Callaghan hit four points from play for UCD. Both players, along with Óisín Gough and Joey Boland have been named in the Dublin team to face Tipperary this Saturday in St Brigid's grounds, Russell Park (7.30).


DIT were also denied a win in Mobhi Road yesterday after Cork senior Patrick Horgan's late point earned CIT a 1-14 to 1-14 draw in Group B. Horgan stuck over the free with two minutes of injury-time played but the story of the game was DIT's remarkable comeback after trailing 1-12 to 0-6 at half-time.

Horgan netted a 13th minute goal for CIT, though DIT were fortunate not to concede another two thanks to fine saves from Finn McGarry.

However, the Cork side troubled the umpires just twice in the second-half as Paul Ryan led the DIT fightback, scoring 0-6 (0-3f), with Harry Keogh's goal setting the Dublin college on their way to an impressive comeback.

St Pat's-Mater Dei recorded an important first win of the competition when they beat UUJ by 0-23 to 4-9 in Drumcondra. Antrim forward Neil McManus scored 2-5 for the Belfast college but former Kilkenny U21 Mark Bergin kept the student teachers in control, claiming 0-10 (8f) for the home side.

Elsewhere, Joe Canning went on a scoring rampage against Waterford IT, scoring 11 points (eight from play) in Limerick IT's 0-18 to 1-11 win in Moylish.