| 2.6°C Dublin

Gaelic Football: Terenure dominate Finian's to take title

A physically imposing Terenure College captured the Dublin 'D' League title after a dominant display to which St Finian's had no answer.

The victors' strong rugby tradition no doubt provided a lot of talent for the side, as they had a wonderful blend of skill and powerful running which proved to be the perfect recipe for success.

To their credit, Finian's battled to the bitter end, and were it not for some stellar performances in the Terenure full-back line they could easily have been a lot closer on the scoreboard.

But the ability of Terenure to score goals proved to be the ultimate difference. Indeed, three inside the opening 25 minutes put them in firm control.

For all their physical dominance, it was the lightning quick and fleet-footed Jack Wright who was tormentor-in-chief.

He dictated the tempo of the game from his centre forward position and orchestrated the attack quite magnificently with clever use of the ball and excellent carrying skills.

It was Wright who created the opening goal after five minutes. His neat pass found corner-forward Graham Doyle in space. It seemed a point was an easier option but nobody told Doyle that as he sent a spectacular long range shot to the top corner.

From that moment there was a siege laid upon the Finian's goal. There was almost another 'major' minutes later but Karl Gibney's effort was ruled out for a square ball.

Gibney would soon raise the green flag, however, as he expertly fisted the ball past Cian Daly after a goalmouth scramble.


Those two goals sandwiched a brace by Wright and it looked as though a rout was on the cards. Finian's, though, stayed positive and their midfield of James Rooney and, in particular, Malachy Griffin, worked tirelessly in an attempt to drag their side back into contention.

Wing forward Jake Hyland was also impressing and his three first-half points helped close the gap even though Finian's were facing into a 3-4 to 0-3 half-time deficit.

The Swords men began the second period with all guns blazing. Hyland and Griffin pointed within minutes of the restart to give their vocal support some encouragement.

Unfortunately for them, Terenure had another gear and quickly restored the 10-point lead when Jack O'Dwyer and midfield colossus Colin Jones split the posts.

Finian's were having a fruitful period in terms of possession but they failed to make any real impact on the scoreboard and were guilty of some wayward shooting when they were presented with some decent chances.

When Kevin Cannon joined his full-forward line colleagues on the goal trail with 15 minutes remaining it really was game over and it knocked the life out of any hopes of an unlikely comeback.

Wright continued to occupy the opposition and it was testament to the desire of him and his team-mates that they kept the foot on the gas right until the end.

The champions were also able to call upon a strong bench to re-energise the challenge as both Ciaran Fitzpatrick and Sean McKenna played their parts. They saw out the game with the upmost efficiency and brought home the trophy to sit along with their endless rugby honours.

Scorers -- Terenure College: G Doyle 2-1, J Wright 0-3, K Gibney, K Cannon 1-0 each, C Jones 0-2, D McCarthy, J O'Dwyer 0-1 each. St Finian's CC: J Hyland 0-4 (f), M Griffin, B Rainey 0-1 each.

Terenure College: R Deasy; S Johnson, D Hynes, S Farrelly; T English, O Barrett, F Bagnel; C Jones, N Lawlor; J O'Dwyer, J Wright, D McCarthy; G Doyle, K Gibney, K Cannon. Subs: C Fitzpatrick for McCarthy(45), S McKenna for O'Dwyer(51).

St Finian's CC: C Daly; J McDonagh, R Begg, P Stratan; A Lott, S McCann, A Lawless; M Griffin, J Rooney; J Hyland, G Purcell, B Rainey; E Callan, J Daly, J Boyle. Subs: P Connell for Stratan(50).