| 5.3°C Dublin

Gaelic Football: Late show puts Kevin's in semi

A storming last 10 minutes saw St Kevin's CBS squeeze past a dogged Moyle Park side into the final of the Dublin Schools Junior 'C' football championship.

The Finglas boys had looked the more natural footballers for much of this entertaining clash in Clondalkin, but it was Moyle Park who looked the likelier side to win when Brian Gregg drew his side level with 10 minutes remaining.

But St Kevin's weathered the storm, and points from the classy Mark O'Dea, full-forward David McGrath, corner-forward Owen Humphreys and centre-forward Conor Sutton saw them into the final.

Despite ceding home advantage, the northsiders started brilliantly and threatened to run away with the match early on.

Kevin's were spurred on from the back by their excellent centre half-back Kevin McHugh and midfielder O'Dea, while Dale Murray bagged two goals. The star men for Moyle Park were forwards Andy O'Brien and Alex Darbey.


O'Dea got them up and running, cancelling out Alex Darby's opener with two well taken points before Jamie Doyle added a third.

A Daniel Gregg free kept Moyle Park in touch, but they were finding it difficult to deal with the influence of McHugh, who defended well and used the wind to aid his accurate raking long ball's which were creating chances for the forwards.

Nine minutes in, one of those balls led to the opening goal as McGrath fielded McHugh's pass well, fed Dale Murray and he finished well.

McGrath and Humphreys added points and at 1-5 to 0-2 Moyle Park's task was looking decidedly difficult.

But an excellent finish from Daniel Gregg brought them back into it, the half-forward finding the net after following up on Andy O'Brien's mis-hit shot.

Humphreys extended the Kevin's lead, but a second goal brought Moyle Park closer again as Lee Dunne found Darby, whose neat shot on the turn gave Keith Duffy no chance and brought his side within a point of Kevin's.

Dale Murray and Gregg exchanged points, but with half time approaching Scott McKenzie's point attempt came off the bar, Jamie Doyle's follow up attempt was brilliantly saved by Darran Core but the rebound fell to Sutton who hammered the ball home.

A Darby point brought the half to an end, with St Kevin's leading 2-7 to 2-4.

But Moyle Park kept on coming with substitute Joey Murphy and Brian Gregg sending over opening scores. However, St Kevin's struck again with Dale Murray feeding Doyle, who found the net from an acute angle, while O'Dea added a free to extend the lead.

Moyle Park weren't about to lie down and they struck back for a third goal with the clearly injured Darby doing enough to feed Gareth Blake, who passed to O'Brien and his finish past Duffy gave the goalkeeper no chance.

Two points down, the Clondalkin school were on top and a quick William Le Muamba free found Murphy, who slipped the ball over the bar.

Brian Gregg levelled matters with a right footed effort with 10 minutes on the clock, and the game was in the balance.

And it was St Kevin's who stepped up to the mark, the excellent O'Dea sent a right footed effort over on the run and McGrath fisted a point over to give them breathing space.

Moyle Park did everything they could to get back into it, but they couldn't get the ball down the pitch and frees from Humphreys and Sutton finished the job.

SCORERS -- St Kevin's CBS: Dale Murray 2-1, Conor Sutton 1-2 (1f), Mark O'Dea 0-4 (1f), Owen Humphreys 0-3 (1f), Jamie Doyle 0-1, David McGrath 0-1 each. Moyle Park Col: Alex Darbey, Daniel Gregg (2f) 1-2 each, Andy O'Brien 1-0, Joey Murphy, Brian Gregg 0-2 each.

St Kevin's CBS: Keith Duffy; Ciaran Reilly, Jack Sheedy, Gary Dorgan; Niall Maguire, Conor McHugh, Shane Kelly; Scott McKenzie, Mark O'Dea; Dale Murray, Conor Sutton, Dean Bagnall; Jamie Doyle, David McGrath, Owen Humphreys. Subs: Christopher Doolin for Kelly (35), Eoghan McHugh for Bagnall (48).

Moyle Park Col: Darran Core; Gary Quinlivan, Shane Bowen, Shane Boland; Martin McGuinness, Liam Flood, Cillian Nolan; William Le Muamba, Gareth Black; Brian Gregg, Sean Long, Daniel Gregg; Lee Dunne, Alex Darby, Andy O'Brien. Subs: Joey Murphy for Nolan (h-t), Stephen Chapman for Darby (54).

Ref: B O'Shea (St Mark's).