| 2.9°C Dublin

De híde seal All-Ireland



(After extra-time, Coláiste de híde win 4-3 on penalties )

TALLAGHT'S Coláiste de híde are the new Buaiteoirí na hÉireann -- or more commonly known as All-Ireland champions -- for the first time in their history after seeing off Limerick school Coláiste Íosaef in last week's national Senior B Cup final.

The small all-Irish school capped an incredible year that saw them capture their first Leinster title by seeing off their Munster counterparts in a dramatic penalty shootout in Tullamore last Friday.

It reads Gaeilge Beo (Irish Alive) on the front of their jerseys and the Dublin school certainly proved that by coming from behind late in extra time of an incredible final to force the shootout and mark Seachtain na Gaeilge (a celebration of the Irish language from March 5th until St Patrick's Day) in the best possible fashion.


Incredibly, De híde follow in the footsteps of local neighbours Jobstown CC and Tallaght CS, who won All-Ireland Senior B and Leinster Senior titles respectively last year.

League of Ireland giants Shamrock Rovers have already invited the school to parade their trophies at half-time of their clash with St Patrick's Athletic at Tallaght Stadium on March 16 and manager Daithí Ó Murchú admits the school is buzzing.

"This is enormous for the school and the whole thing couldn't have happened any better," he said.

"Win or lose, that was an incredible final to be involved in, against a great team from Kilmallock, and the lads showed such character to win.

"The school has a great character and comradery about it on a daily basis anyway so it was fantastic to see the lads use that when they needed it most in extra time."

Despite starting the game slower, the Tallaght school took the lead after a quarter of an hour at Leah Victoria Park when captain Dylan ó Broin curled an effort into the bottom corner from outside the box.

Coláiste Íosaef responded through Aaron Costello's header which shaved the post and Jason Linehan smashed a long-range effort off the crossbar before equalising after 30 minutes through the latter's persistence.

Coláiste de hÍde simply went again and re-took the lead 10 minutes into the second-half when Aaron Seartáin poked home after a scramble in the box.


Despite being reduced to 10 men soon after, the Leinster champions hung on until Chris Todd powered home after a neatly-worked free kick for the Limerick side with 13 minutes of normal time remaining.

The Munster champions took the lead in the first half of extra time through Paul Doona but Aaron ó Briain produced a wonder-strike with only minutes remaining to force the penalty shootout.

Goalkeeper Sean de Bluinsín proved to be the hero yet again and repeated his semi-final heroics by denying the Limerick school and sealing the victory for his side.

Coláiste de híde: Seán de Bluinsín, Aaron Ó Briain, Dean Ó Braonáin, Adam Ó Fallúin, Seán,Ó Donnabháin, Eoin Ó Riain, Séamaí Ó Néill, Dylan Ó Broin, Aaron Seartáin, Stiofán Ó Ceallaigh, Donal Ó Riain.

Subs: Cillian Ó Cearúil, Dónal Ó Laighin, Naoise Ó Conaráin, Cory Dardis, Darren Ó Braonáin, Seán Mac Róibín, Pádraig de Corbhaile.