| 12.5°C Dublin

Ulster firepower blows Scots away

Ulster showed no rustiness after the break for the autumn internationals as they posted an emphatic 41-17 PRO12 win over Edinburgh last night, with five tries and a bonus point.

The returning Craig Gilroy scored two of Ulster's tries – the first and fourth – while fly-half James McKinney scored 21 points with a try and an unblemished record off the tee with five conversions and three penalties in the 41-17 triumph.

Ulster's other try scorers were Paul Marshall and captain Robbie Diack, while Edinburgh crossed the hosts' line three times with Cornell du Preez, Dougie Fife and Grayson Hart all touching down in a frantic second-half scoring spree.

Indeed, Edinburgh got the first points on the board just before the quarter-hour mark off a scrum when Sam Hidalgo-Clyne broke blind and fed Du Preez, with the No 8 smashing through Michael Allen and Craig Gilroy to score in the corner.

Harry Leonard missed the conversion, but further misery was heaped upon the home side as Iain Henderson then left the action with an injury.

McKinney then narrowed the visitors' lead with a penalty after Ulster's scrum won a penalty.

Ulster scored next after substitute Ricky Andrew launched a great counter-attack and skipper Diack put an excellent chip into the corner, which saw temporary sub Tom Brown run into touch. From the line-out, Ulster spun the ball left and Darren Cave's pass allowed Gilroy to pirouette through to score. McKinney added a marvellous conversion and Ulster were 10-5 up.


Then, two minutes after the half-hour, Cave burst through and his pass to Paul Marshall was hacked on by the scrum-half to score near the posts.

McKinney easily added the extras and Ulster moved 17-5 ahead.

Right on half-time, another big Ulster scrum yielded a penalty and McKinney did the necessary.

The game erupted into life on the hour mark after Izak van der Westhuizen was yellow-carded for pulling down an Ulster driving maul, and afterwards Diack drove over and McKinney added the extras.

The bonus point was secured by Gilroy from an intercept, but Luke Marshall being helped from the field took some of the gloss off the score.