| 6°C Dublin

Rugby ib brief: Geraghty stars as 'A' side lose Saxons battle

Shane Geraghty showed England what they could miss in this season's Six Nations Championship after he guided the Saxons to a tense 17-13 victory over Ireland 'A'.

Geraghty scored the Saxons' second try, hit two conversions and slotted a late penalty.

Paddy Wallace kicked two penalties and Ireland substitute backrow forward Chris Henry claimed a 69th-minute score -- converted by Wallace -- that ensured a frenzied finale.

England struggled to show any fluency but Ireland lacked composure at critical times, and were ultimately unable to repeat last summer's Churchill Cup final triumph over England in Denver.

Rock show heart to kill off Belvo

If anyone doubts the pedigree of champions Blackrock to go the whole way and repeat last year's Leinster Schools Senior Cup success, well think again.

That was the loud and clear message sent out as the holders made their way through to the next round at the expense of Belvedere in a 20-13 first-round victory at Donnybrook.

Belvedere started the brightest. Mark Kavanagh raced clear on four minutes to score.

David Godfrey's penalty narrowed the gap but Belvo centre James Hart soon restored the lead to five with a penalty.

But within three minutes, the game was turned on its head. Caolann Fitzpatrick scored a brilliant individual try, which Godfrey converted, and no sooner had the game re-started, than Rock's Richard March took off from 50m out to score under the posts; Godfrey converted.

At 17-8, Belvo were on the rack. But, after the break, Donal Murray's determination saw him score a try for Belvo. But the last say went to Rock when Godfrey slotted a second successful penalty on 60 minutes to secure a place in the last eight.

Cork Con hold on to retain Senior crown

FOURTEEN-MAN Cork Constitution mounted an impressive second-half 15-11 comeback over Garryowen to claim their second AIB Senior Cup title in Athlone on Saturday.

On the stroke of half-time Cork's second-row Ian Nagle flailed at a ruck and Mike Sherry crashed over the line.

Referee Alain Rolland gave the try and then gave Nagle the red card. Con trailed at half-time and the feeling at Dubarry Park was that Con were to lose a second final as favourites.

But Evan Ryan's side emerged vibrant; Daragh Lyons' try, Scott Deasy's conversion and an extra penalty saw Con hold on and Ryan lift the trophy.