| 10.3°C Dublin

'Point rout seals second title win

Seapoint were crowned Leinster League champions on Sunday when they hammered Tullamore 61-24 in Kilbogget Park.

This result, coupled with second-placed Boyne's 18-9 defeat in Cill Dara, has left the Killiney-based club 11 points clear with two games remaining in Division 1A.

Seapoint are unbeaten in the league to date (Boyne ruined a 100pc record when the sides drew 21-21 in December), and their remarkable consistency and ability to eke out victories in the tightest of situations has now been rewarded in a second ever Leinster League title.

Their only defeats have been in the quarter-final of the Leinster Senior League Cup at Old Belvedere (and this after earlier wins against Co Carlow, Wanderers and Suttonians) as well as to City of Derry in the AIB Junior Cup.

There is every chance they'll have a chance to avenge the AIB Junior Cup loss in the All-Ireland Provincial League championship as City of Derry are locked in a titanic two-way battle with Armagh for the Ulster title.

Last Sunday, right-winger Stephen Boucher scored four tries for the Dublin club as they ran in nine in total, while credit is also due to the visitors, who picked up a bonus point for scoring four tries of their own.

Second-half touchdowns by centre Tyson Doughty and scrum-half Mark Houlihan capped a fine performance by Cill Dara as they overturned an early 6-0 deficit to run out convincing winners by the end.

Dundalk, meanwhile, moved a step closer to cementing a top four spot, and with it qualification for next year's AIB Junior Cup, when they won 19-8 in Monkstown. In the process they dropped the hosts into the relegation play-off position.

Elsewhere in Division 1A action, Skerries scored eight tries as they trounced Portlaoise 51-10 in a match played on the excellent playing fields of Balbriggan RFC as Skerries' pitches were water-logged. The result eases the relegation worries of the North Co Dubliners but shoves the Co Laois side closer to the drop.


Portlaoise host Tullamore in a must-win, do-or-die battle on Sunday in a game held over from the bad weather over the New Year.

Newbridge maintained their three-point lead at the head of affairs in Division 1B when they overcame Wicklow 17-13 at home. Not for the first time this season, full-back Karl Darragh was central to the win as he notched up 12 points, including the decisive second-half try.

Coolmine remained hot on their heels when they won their local derby with Garda 19-15, with the key score arriving in the final quarter when No 8 Harley Murray touched down under the posts.

There were two notable events in Division 2; Portarlington lost their first game of the season when they went down 19-18 in Clondalkin but the Laois club still enjoy a healthy 10-point lead at the top, while at the other end of the scale, last-placed North Kildare eventually got their maiden victory when they had an exciting 28-26 home win against Roscrea.

Edenderry continue to lead Division 3 Section A and the Offaly club can thank out-half Brian O'Carroll, who landed three late penalty goals, including an injury-time winner, as they beat visitors Malahide 6-3.

Balbriggan continue to lead Section B after their 15-6 win in IT Carlow.

Newcomers North Meath won 22-8 in Birr and they're a close second, while Arklow won the other game at home to CYM, 21-5.