| 12.9°C Dublin

Crane leads rout of Treviso

Leicester cruised into the Heineken Cup quarter-finals after carrying out a predictable 62-15 demolition job on outclassed Treviso.

The Tigers, needing a try-scoring bonus point to guarantee their progress from Pool Five, achieved that feat by half-time at Welford Road.

Number eight Jordan Crane (two), full-back Scott Hamilton and wing Alesana Tuilagi all touched down during the first 40 minutes with fly-half Toby Flood adding three conversions and a penalty.

Treviso, trailing 29-3 and having seen two of their forwards sin-binned, then faced a prolonged damage-limitation exercise as Leicester followed their Aviva Premiership rivals Northampton into the last eight.

Crane completed his hat-trick, while flanker Thomas Waldrom and Hamilton also crossed after the break, before late scores by centre Manu Tuilagi and substitute Steve Mafi. There was still time for a third Treviso yellow card when replacement Alberto Sgarbi was cautioned as Flood completed a 17-point haul.

Perpignan's bonus-point win against the Scarlets in France proved enough for them to top the group, meaning Leicester progress as best runners-up and will face an away tie against Leinster in April.

The Tigers will be relieved to have kept alive hopes of a third European title after lifting the trophy in 2001 and 2002, given their failure to beat Perpignan home or away this season.

They did not hit top gear against a limited Treviso outfit, but last weekend's victory over the Scarlets in Llanelli had set them up for a last-eight spot, an opportunity Leicester did not spurn.

Treviso went ahead after just 32 seconds through fly-half Kristopher Burton's drop-goal, giving Leicester an immediate reminder that the Italians did not intend to merely make up the numbers.

Flood hauled Leicester level through a ninth-minute penalty and it was one-way traffic from then on, save for a pair of consolation tries by Treviso full-back Brendan Williams and sub Tobias Botes.