| 5.3°C Dublin

Clinical Pres Bray dump out Wesley to enter the decider as favourites High School hit final with battling display

Pres Bray 16

Wesley College 7

Presentation College Bray will be strong favourites to lift the Leinster Fr Godfrey Junior Cup final following a clinical defeat of Wesley College at Kilternan yesterday.

Early on, Pres gained a foothold inside the Wesley 22 when their out-half Luke Maloney snaffled an interception to sprint for 40 metres.

They remained there until Wesley split the posts from 30 metres in the fifth minute. Later, Pres blindside Oisin Moran set off on a 60-metre gallop for a superb individual try. Masterson converted for a 10-0 lead in the 18th minute.

After the break, Wesley returned to the front foot but Pres soaked up all the pressure before hitting back for three more points.

Wesley's Steinbach broke two challenges to crash over beside the posts with six minutes left on the clock. Centre Bracken added the conversion to take Wesley to within nine points.

The Bray boys made use of the late introduction of a match rule handed down by the Leinster Branch to abandon the yellow card system -- Pres resorted to killing the ball time after time to prevent Wesley from generating the fast ball craved by their backs. It may have been cynical; it was definitely clinical.

SCORERS - Pres Bray: O Moran try; D Masterson 3 pens, con. Wesley College: J Steinbach try; R Bracken con.

Pres Bray: D Masterson; D Henderson (N Patrick 69), J Keating (P Clancy 68), J Curran (G Byrne 62), D Cassidy; L Maloney, J Treanor (O Hennessy 46); A Stapleton (capt, H Armstrong 55), L Barrett, C Pearse, C Gleeson, J Hayes, O Moran, L O'Flynn-Martin, D McKay.

Wesley College: K Jameson; J Nicoll (P Barrett 46), R Bracken, A Walsh, H Cresswell; T Hawe, A Copeland; B Canning (C Douglas 49), S Pollock, D Gillespie, E Parfery, D Hunt, J Steinbach, R White, O Brooks (capt, A Verso 56).

Referee: D Duke, Leinster Branch.

High School hit final with battling display

High School 17

St Patrick's 14

High School will be lining out in this season's Father Godfrey Cup final thanks to a hard-fought victory over St Patrick's of Navan at Ashbourne Rugby club.

It was the Meath school that opened the afternoon's scoring with centre Shane Gallagher turning a long, hopeful punt upfield into five points; Colm O'Reilly converting to give St Pat's an early lead.

It would be late into the second half when Navan again troubled the score board as High School made up for their sluggish start by racking up two tries in nine minutes -- flanker John Hackett going over on 14 minutes and Eamonn O'Sullivan following with another try on the 23 minute mark. But two missed conversions from High School out-half Dean Kilroy meant St Pat's stayed in touch.

When High School's scrum-half, Paddy Predergast was sin-binned early in the second half it looked as if St Pat's had been thrown a lifeline. The Navan side though failed to capitalise on their numerical advantage, High School's Paul McCarthy further increasing the lead with a converted try.

With three minutes remaining Shane Gallagher again went over, reducing the gap to three with a converted try, but it was too little too late.

Scorers - High School: J Hackett, E O'Sullivan, P McCarthy all one try D Kilroy one conversion. St Patrick's: S Gallagher two tries C O'Reilly two conversions

St Patrick's: C Brennan; C Sheridan, S Gallagher, G McGrane, T Pretorius; C O'Reilly, J Condie; E McGrane, S Faulkner, A Yeats; A Keating, E Noonan; B McGovern, D Ryan, H Hester

High School: Paul McCarthy; D Holder, A Campbell, E O'Sullivan, N McTeirnan; P Predergast, D Kilroy; D Kiernan, G Power, J Hackett; S Smith, R Keogh; M McCann, T Harding, R Beverland

Ref: C Reynolds (ARLB)