| 0.8°C Dublin

Webber: Monaco win can accelerate season

FORMULA ONE: Mark Webber is hoping the comfort of Monaco this weekend will help him get his title challenge back on track.

Webber has so far endured a troubled season, with its nadir the sorry saga in Malaysia when he was deprived of a win by Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel's decision to ignore team orders.

The 36-year-old Australian has suffered other woes to leave him sixth in the drivers' standings, 47 points adrift of three-times champion and current pacesetter Vettel.

If Webber is to have any hope of mounting a charge he has to start this weekend in F1's blue-riband event, the Monaco Grand Prix, where he has taken the chequered flag twice in the past three years.

"It's always been a good track for me," said Webber, whose 2010 win remains one of his best memories.

"It probably goes back to my street-racing experience in Adelaide in Formula Ford. I'm comfortable on street circuits, although I can't translate it to Singapore yet. I don't know why.

"As for Monaco, it's still a daunting place. But when I'm out there, I don't know what makes me feel as comfortable as I do."

 

GARCIA: NO TIGER TRUCE

GOLF: Sergio Garcia has no intention of instigating peace talks with Tiger Woods following their clash at the Players Championship.

Paired together in a third round at Sawgrass, it took less than two holes for long-standing tensions to come to the surface with Garcia feeling he was put off on his approach shot to the second by crowd noise caused by Woods preparing for his own shot from the trees.

Woods insisted he had been told by a marshal that Garcia had already played before pulling a fairway wood from his bag, with the fans cheering the indication that the world number one would attempt to go for the green on the par five.

Garcia said: "We have not spoken and I don't really have any plans to (contact him). Obviously he is not going to say sorry, which I can understand coming from him.

"I am not the one who should go to him. If I have done something wrong I will go up and say, 'Sorry, I hope it is okay and that we can move on'. But if I am not the one who did the thing then I am not going to go up and say, 'Sorry for you doing that thing to me'. That's nonsense."

 

I'M IN FORM OF LIFE: MAC

GOLF: Graeme McDowell feels he is in the form of his life as he seeks some rare success at Wentworth this week and a second major title next month.

The world number seven believes Sunday's triumph in the Volvo World Match Play Championship, where beating Thongchai Jaidee in the final at Thracian Cliffs in Bulgaria coupled with his victory in the RBC Heritage last month and third place in the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral in March, means he is on top form ahead of this week's BMW PGA Championship and June's US Open at Merion.

"I've got one event now before the US Open. You could say I'm in the form of my life going into an event in which certainly my record kind of speaks for itself," said McDowell, who finished joint second at Olympic club last year, 14th in 2011, won in 2010 and was 18th in 2009.

 

HANLEY HITS THE JACKPOT

EQUESTRIAN: Ireland's Cameron Hanley returned triumphantly to the Grand Prix winner's podium in Germany yesterday after an almost two-year absence caused by a freak accident to his knee that resulted in a total of 17 operations.

Competing at the five-star Riders' Tour Grand Prix in Wiesbaden, the Mayo-born rider and the 10-year-old gelding Antello Z collected €19,000 after seeing off a strong international challenge in the 12-horse second round.

 

PISTORIUS TAKES TIME OUT

ATHLETICS: Oscar Pistorius has turned his back on athletics for the rest of the year to focus on fighting the murder charge hanging over him.

"There was never any pressure from me or his coach (Ampie Louw) to return to competition, it's his decision not to compete," his agent Peet van Zyl said.


Privacy