| 17.4°C Dublin

St Andrew's dominating on all fronts

ST ANDREW'S comprehensive 6-1 dismissal of Wesley College completed one of the most dominant schoolboy hockey seasons in recent memory. Records tumbled as a result as they added the Leinster Senior Cup title to the Whiteside Trophy, Senior League and All-Ireland trophies already won.

As a contest, this final at Grange Road was done and dusted within 10 minutes as David Nolan struck twice while Ziggy de Boe Agnew swept home for 3-0. The first and third goals owed much to persistence but the second was a thing of beauty as Nolan skipped over a few rogue sticks before unleashing a beautiful upright backhand shot.

Luke Madeley did get one back on the quarter-hour, having earlier seen a drag-flick saved off the line, to keep Wesley clinging on at half-time.

The Ballinteer outfit did improve markedly in the second half with Ben McCrea leading the charge from sweeper but, as the game got stretched in the latter phases, they conceded three more in the last 10 minutes.

Geoff Cole and Eoin Buttanshaw got lovely near-post touches to right-wing crosses while Andrew Fogarty coolly finished off a tidy sixth when left all alone at the top of the circle.


In so doing, St Andrew's became the first school to win the senior league and cup doubles in both the boys and girls competitions in the same year and remain on course to complete a clean sweep of the 'A' schoolboy titles. It was also their third successive title in this cup.

For Wesley – probably the second best side in the country this year – it was another rough outing, matching the scoreline they endured in the All-Ireland final last October, having not lost to any other side this year.

St Andrews: J Carr, A Bailey, J Henry, R Browne, G Browne, W King, E Buttanshaw, A Fogarty, G Cole, D Nolan, R Nichols, Z de Boe Agnew, J Larmour, R Couse, B Campbell, A Meates

Wesley: S Dawson, R Shaw, B McCrea, D Mawhinney, A Keane, J Dalrymple, R McGuinness, J Wilson, D Cullen, D Walsh, S Dagg, A Barlow, L Madeley, S Ronan, H McMahon, G Gibney

Umpires: K Chapple, R Abbott