| 5.6°C Dublin

rovers bag u15s shield

WICKLOW ROVERS A............... 3

ARKLOW UNITED A................. 0

Wicklow completed stage one of what they hope will be a WDSL Under 15 Premier Division treble after they saw off Arklow in the Shield final.

In what was the fourth match between the teams this season, the scoreline at Allen Park in Aughrim last Sunday week did not reflect the true nature of the contest that was full of chances at either end.

The breakthrough came in the 18th minute.

Having scored twice in the group stage fixture at Ferndale Park last October, Ross Quinn ran onto a loose ball and fired in spectacularly from distance.

Then on the half hour, the same player hit the crossbar.

Arklow almost equalised on the stroke of half-time but Cathal Kelleher's strike went inches over the bar.

Just after the interval, Cormac O'Shea's 30-yard free flew narrowly over Rovers 'keeper Calum Vickers' bar.

Quinn was also thwarted by the frame of the goal in the 55th minute. Within seconds, they did make it 2-0.

A long ball out of defence found Eoin McAulay at the half-way line.

He outfoxed the United defence before lobbing over goalkeeper Eoin Kavanagh into an empty net.

With three minutes remaining, any hope of a valiant United comeback was put to bed.

In a clinical counter attack, Adam Copeland's cross took a wicked deflection off an Arklow defender and looped to the net.

With Wicklow already in the Cup final, the two sides could meet again if Arklow beat Ardmore Rovers in the semi-final.

Wicklow's A-Team pitch perfect

WICKLOW ROVERS A............... 3

COOLBOY RANGERS ................0

Wicklow maintained their 100% winning record in all WDSL competitions against Coolboy this season as they secured the U14 Division 1 Shield.

A superb individual effort by Matthew Traynor gave Rovers a 1-0 half-time lead last Sunday, April 28, at Allen Park in Aughrim.

Further goals after the break by substitute JJ Power and Rory Dowling put a gloss on what was otherwise a tough encounter in which Coolboy missed a penalty when 2-0 down.

Having won 4-0 and 3-1 previously in the group stages of the Shield, Wicklow had also won 2-0 in the Premier Division last February, and also 5-0 just five days earlier in Coolafancy.

Having netted twice against the same opposition last December, Traynor broke the deadlock.

The Green and White's went 2-0 up when Dowling latched onto a fine through ball.

Rangers had the chance to reduce the deficit when awarded a spot-kick soon after.

But Curtis Keating fired the dead-ball over the crossbar.

Soon after, sub Lorcan Rossiter failed to convert another opportunity for Coolboy.

Rovers rubber-stamped the silverware late on when substitute JJ Power fired to the far corner of the net.