| 8°C Dublin

quay super subs turnover harps

Quay Celtic............................. 2

Kingscourt Harps.............. 1AET

Quay Celtic and Kingscourt Harps demonstrated their current positions as the top two Reserve sides in the MDL in a very exciting OCC Accountants Reserve Cup final played at Carrick Rovers excellent pitch.

For the second time in a week it took extra-time to separate the two evenly matched sides, with Kingscourt having won 2-1 in the semi-final of the Gerry Reilly Cup, but this time around Quay Celtic made amends with an extra-time winner, to reverse the early result with a similar scoreline.

The sides were scoreless at the break with the most notable early chance falling to Quay's Derek Rogers whose goal-bound shot was well saved by Kingscourt keeper David Watters.

On the hour Mark Tully broke the deadlock to put Kingscourt one up with a great individual effort when he skipped past two defenders and confidently shot wide of the advancing keeper Lee Smith.

They looked to be holding out for victory, but Quay substitute David Hughes got his side back into the match with an equaliser with just three minutes remaining, thus necessitating extra-time.

Nine minutes into the first period the other Quay substitute, Shane McKenna, was on hand to tap home following a goalmouth scramble after a Quay free kick.

The goal was enough to give his side the Reserve Cup to add to the Premier Reserve League.

Quay Celtic: Lee Smith, Niall McLoughlin, Ross Mulpeter, Conor Brennan, Pauric Brown, Barry Kiernan, Barry Mackin, David Maloney, John Boland, Robbie Farrell, Derek Rogers; Subs Peter Nixon for Farrell, David Huighes for Macken, Shane McKenna for Nixon.

Kingscourt Harps: David Watters, Karl Parge, Daniel Yorke, Stefan McEnteer, Damien Russell, J.P. O Reilly, Cian Farrelly, Mark Tully, Stephen Kierans, Robbie Rowntree, Tommy Carroll; Subs David Dolan for Farrelly.

Referee: Brian Murphy; Assistants: John Crawley, Paul Everard all members of Louth Branch ISRS.