| 5.8°C Dublin

odlum raises cup for town

NEWTOWN UNITED....................... 1

GLENCORMAC UNITED................... 0

Newtown lifted the Division 2 Thomas Scott Cup for the first time in their history.

And in the process, end Glencormac's hopes for a first trophy in 11 years. But only after a dramatic ending.

The match at Pat O'Toole Park in Rathdrum last Saturday was into the 94th minute when substitute Gavan Burke lofted in a left-wing cross.

His brother Emmet tangled with Newtown sub Lee McCabe when assistant referee Mick Quinn controversially flagged that the ball hand struck the arm of the Newtown player.

After some confusion, referee Dominique Lachaussee pointed to the spot. Initially, the Kilmac side's captain Paul Devlin looked set to take the dead-ball. But Simon Doyle ended up hitting the penalty.

However, his effort was straight down the middle with Ciaran McGuirl virtually stopping the ball between his legs and gathered it before it could cross the line. The goalkeeper barely had time to get up and clear when Lachaussee blew the final whistle.

Despite the decent weather, the strong wind played havoc with the match.

Having lost the final three years ago the same venue, the all-important goal for the Magpies finally arrived in the 43rd minute.

Neil Martin's free was helped on by Pawel Bochenek's header. Ross Odlum shielded and then spun off his marker before firing a cracking 16-yard shot past Stephen Pepper.

Glencormac were thwarted by the woodwork as early as the sixth minute. From Andy Free's corner, Ian Devlin volleyed back into the six-yard area. Paul Devlin's header hit the post and was kept out by a combination of McGuirl and Newtown skipper Noel McKenna.

It took a brilliant save in the 16th minute by Pepper to deny Odlum, whose looping header from Terry Murphy's cross looked like it was in until the custodian clawed it out.

The Ryder's Field based outfit also had a big penalty shout turned down in the 19th minute when Dave Lynch appeared to handle before McGuirl tipped Ian Devlin's dipping effort over the bar.

Both Cian McGoldrick and Murphy missed chances at either end before half-time in a stop-start contest that saw no less than 50 free-kick's awarded.

Glencormac had another penalty appeal waved away in the 63rd minute when Barry Fitzpatrick's cross hit Neil Martin.

Within seconds, Bochenek's speculative wind-aided clearance from his own half almost produced a second goal for Newtown. The ball bounced up and Pepper had to stretch to tip the ball over via the Glens' cross-bar.

The two teams are due to meet in Division 2 later this month with the winner likely to become league champions.

Newtown United: Ciaran McGuirl; Pawel Bochenek, Tom Nolan, Dave Lynch, Neil Martin; Noel McKenna, Ross Odlum, Barry Davis, Glenn Carthy; Conor Eccleston, Terry Murphy.Subs: Karl Carthy (for McKenna 72 mins), David Harvey (for Murphy 81 mins), Lee McCabe (for Eccleston 90 +1 mins), Kevin Murphy (not used).

Glencormac United: Stephen Pepper; Barry Fitzpatrick, Paul Devlin, Shane Devlin, Eoin Farrell; Ian Devlin, Andy Free, Michael Rooney, Kevin Redden; Simon Doyle, Cian McGoldrick. Subs: Robert O'Donnell (for Free 9 mins), Emmet Burke (for O'Donnell 68 mins), Gavan Burke (for McGoldrick 88 mins), Patrick Harvey, Conor Finn (both not used).

Referee: Dominique Lachaussee. Assistants: Paul O'Brien, Mick Quinn.