| 5.8°C Dublin

Murray is hero for 'Dale


Boyne CS Trims Lee Corcoran challenges Riversdale Ismael Diallo. Photo: Garrett White

Boyne CS Trims Lee Corcoran challenges Riversdale Ismael Diallo. Photo: Garrett White

Boyne CS Trims Lee Corcoran challenges Riversdale Ismael Diallo. Photo: Garrett White



MARK MURRAY'S first-half strike was enough to earn Riversdale Community College victory over Boyne Community School in the U15 Leinster Champions League final.

The Blanchardstown school ended the season in style on Tuesday by seeing off their Trim counterparts at Dunboyne Football Club.

Led by talented Ireland U15 international trio Ismael Diallo, Dylan Travers and Jean Yves-Poame, Riversdale were impressive throughout in the face of a solid Boyne defensive unit.

The Dubliners dominated the chance count in this season-concluding encounter and in the end were rewarded with victory.

Only a crucial last-ditch block from Daniel Morris on six minutes denied Yassine Enneyah a clear strike on goal from 12 yards after Travers played him through with a clinical ball.

Two minutes later, Ismael Omafoso was played in behind the Boyne defence by Yves-Poame, but his cross-come-shot went inches over at the back post.

Gerard Dwayne came to the rescue on 15 minutes as goalkeeper Peter Farrell was beaten by Omafoso's low drive after another good run down the right, before Leroy Bankole flicked over the resulting corner.

Yves-Poame forced another save from the busy Farrell after a jinking run in from the right on 20 minutes, but it took until the 32nd minute for Riversdale's dominance to pay off.

Ironically, for all their great passing and skill, it was a long punt down field from goalkeeper Karl Farrell three minutes before half-time that did the damage.

Striker Enneyah drew the Boyne defence in towards the ball as he attempted to flick on and when the ball went over his head, the overlapping Murray found himself bearing down on goal and took his time before finishing high into the net from eight yards.

The second half began as the first had ended, with Travers firing low straight at the Boyne keeper, before Conor Higgins denied a crucial second goal with his goalline clearance after Omafoso had hooked Yves-Poame's pull back past Farrell.

At the other end, Ryan McCarthy showed his worth with a crucial block on the edge of the box as substitute Michael Cullen looked to get a clear shot away on goal.

Yves-Poame tested Farrell with a weak shot after a good run in off the left wing as Riversdale went on the attack.

However, with the last chance of the game, Boyne almost forced extra-time in injury time through Cullen.

The striker found himself free on goal down the left and his low shot across goal beat Karl Farrell but rolled just outside the far post.

RIVERSDALE CC: Karl Farrell; Ryan McCarthy, Ismael Omafoso, Ismael Diallo, Leroy Bankole, Dylan Travers, Jean Yves-Poame, Adam Fox, Mark Murray, Yassine Enneyah (Aftab Muhammed 66), Jordan Bradshaw (Vincent Oyewole 54). Not used: Paul Kelehan.

BOYNE CS: Peter Farrell; Shane Gartlane, Conor Higgins, Daniel Morris (Michael Cullen 39), Gerard Dwane, Zac McGowan, Ruairi Shortt, Joseph Baloghan, Lee Corcoran, Scott O'Leary, Dominic Peppard. Not used: Adam Sheehan, Luke Brogan, John O'Callaghan, Evan Buckley.

Referee: J Keating.