| 2.4°C Dublin

Murray cruises into next round at ease without dropping set


Andy Murray celebrates victory over Dustin Brown

Andy Murray celebrates victory over Dustin Brown

Andy Murray celebrates victory over Dustin Brown

Andy Murray made light work of crowd-pleaser Dustin Brown at Wimbledon yesterday.

The world number one showed no signs of the hip problems which hindered his build-up to Wimbledon with a routine 6-3 6-2 6-2 win over his dreadlocked opponent from Germany.

Murray was joined in round three by seventh seed Marin Cilic of Croatia, a 7-6 (7/2) 6-4 7-5 winner over Florian Meyer.

"I felt the momentum was with me, I was starting to see the shots he was going to play a little bit quicker and that allowed me to get to some of the drop volleys and also to come up with some good passing shots," said Murray. "I played well. The last three games I didn't serve particularly well, but the rest of the match I served well, I was getting a lot of free points there, serving a lot bigger than I was in the first round.

"He wasn't able to attack my second serve like he tries to do, so that was positive.

"I think I moved pretty well too. Against guys that play a lot of drop shots and come forward you need to move well and I did that."

Asked about his hip injury Murray added: "It's okay. I've moved well the first couple of matches. It hasn't affected me. I've been getting good practices in and I feel good. Hopefully it stays that way. So far I've been very happy with how I've been feeling on the court. It's been a good start and hopefully I can keep it going."

Meanwhile, Stan Wawrinka's conqueror Daniil Medvedev has apologised for throwing money at an umpire's chair at the end of his second-round defeat to Ruben Bemelmans. The Russian created one of the stories of the opening day of Wimbledon when he slayed three-time grand slam champion Wawrinka on Centre Court but courted controversy in the second round after losing in five sets to Belgium's Bemelmans on Court 16.

Medvedev ended the match in disgrace as, after taking exception to some of the decisions by umpire Mariana Alves, he took coins out of his wallet and threw them at the foot of the umpire's chair.

The 21-year-old insisted he was not insinuating Alves had been bribed and accepts his actions were wrong.

"I was disappointed with the result of the match," he said. "It was frustrating after a big win I had. All the match was not going well for me, so I was just very disappointed.

"In the heat of the moment, I did a bad thing. I apologise for this."