| 7.9°C Dublin

Marquis Cup for Bolton as 11 are booked


Park Rangers............................0

Bolton won the Marquis Cup at Ozier Park on Saturday afternoon last as they defeated Park Rangers thanks to an own goal by Park Rangers keeper Colin Hanrahan.

It was referee John Ferncombe who grabbed the headlines as he booked eleven Bolton players and sent off one and he also booked five Park Rangers men.

Park Rangers created the first chance of note on 17 minutes when striker John Whitty picked up possession out on the left channel before cutting into the penalty area, but his shot was kept out by the feet of Bolton keeper Liam Purcell.

Joseph Dwyer went close to putting Bolton in front less than four minutes later when he got his head on the end of a corner kick from Darren Flynn but his header flashed just inches over the crossbar of keeper Colin Hanrahan.

Bolton were celebrating the lead goal on 33 minutes when they won a corner kick out on the left side and when Darren Flynn sent the ball into the penalty area, Rangers netminder Hanrahan could only punch the ball into his own net.

Bolton could have doubled their lead with the first attack of the second period on 51 minutes when Joseph Dwyer got free down the right channel before picking out Hughie O'Neill but his left-footed shot was saved by the legs of the keeper before Raymond Carroll fired the rebound wide.

With tackles flying in left, right and centre that saw referee John Ferncombe flash cards galore, Bolton were reduced to 10 men on 58 minutes when Alan Martin picked up a second yellow card from the match official much to the frustration of the midfielder.

Park Rangers looked a different side with the aid of the extra man as the pressed for the equalising goal minutes later when John Whitty fired in a shot from distance that was only parried into the path of Bill Murphy, however he blazed narrowly over the crossbar.

John Whitty went agonisingly close to scoring for Park Rangers on 70 minutes when Mark Troy sent in a free-kick that was knocked down by Ger Whitty into the path of his namesake but his close range right-footed volley flashed inches over Purcell's crossbar.

Bolton had a chance to put the game to bed on 83 minutes when Darren Flynn did well down the right, but his right-footed effort whistled inches wide of the far post before John Whitty had another chance at the other end but he fired straight at keeper Liam Purcell from a decent position.

There was one final chance for Park Rangers and their main man John Whitty deep into second-half injury-time when he stepped over a free-kick 25 yards from goal but his thunderous effort went just inches over the crossbar.

Bolton: Liam Purcell, Derek O'Keeffe, Davin Moran, Darren Walsh, David Power, Hughie O'Neill, Michael Grey, Alan Martin, Raymond Carroll, Joseph Dwyer, Darren Flynn, Paddy Connolly, William O'Keeffe, Ricky O'Neill, Jamie Long, Alan Hearne, Stephen Madigan, Leon Halligan.

Park Rangers: Colin Hanrahan, Jason Flood, Patrick Walsh, David Pepper, Richie Hurley, Mark Troy, Ger Whitty, Alan Whitty, John Whitty, Jason Roche, Bill Murphy, Paul Elliott, Jake Kelly, Mitchell Baldwin, Owen Connors, Damien Tiernan, Luke Ferguson, Nicky Quinlan.

Referee: John Ferncombe