| 6.7°C Dublin

Liam cherry-picks Evans Cup winner



THE lad that carries the famous name of the proud son of Whitehall, Liam Brady, got the golden goal in the the U-15 Evans Cup final at Whitehall yesterday afternoon.

The sun shone on a splendid spectacle. There was nothing between them. Orchard defended in magnificent fashion.

Their goalkeeper, David Craddock, was in inspirational form. He made a cluster of top saves as Lucan threw everything but the Spa Hotel at the Ballyfermot hall door.

The winning goal came six minutes into the second period at the car-park end when Brady showed good awareness to pounce onto a long clearance to knock the ball in.

Just before the end of the first half, he had a super free-kick brilliantly pushed onto the post by the Lucan 'keeper, Mark Travers.

But it was Craddock was by far the busier goalie. In the opening period he made super stops from Sean Quinn and Conor Masterson.

And then, following the oranges, he was again at his best to deny Masterson twice before diving full length to keep out Quinn's strike that was speeding to the top right-hand corner.

United's Brandon Payne is a pure striker of the ball. In a delightful slice of skill inside the box late on, he almost danced his way into the clear, and he also saw another effort scream over the top.

But the Ballyfermot boys held their nerve ... and their positions. And their superb defensive display was summed up by their accomplished right full-back, Jamie Wilson, who had to retire injured and who was replaced by the Orchard's semi-final player-of-the-match in Cork, Sean Tunney, who didn't start here because of injury.

CHERRY ORCHARD: David Craddock; Jamie Wilson, Conor Kane, Peter Burke, Paddy Woodgate, Keane Cully, Sean Hoare, Liam Brady, Andrew O'Reilly, Ronald Ntumba, William McAdam. Sean Tunney, Craig O'Connor, Conor Coyle.

LUCAN UNITED: Mark Travers; Tony Archbold, Ciaran Kelly, Adam Finlan, Quentan Kavanagh, Ryan Kinsella, Ronan Smith, Brandon Payne, Abbey Olojede, Conor Masterson, Sean Quinn. Ben O'Dwyer, Joel Bekombe, Tope Akinwale.

Referee: George Victory.

Assistants: R O'Shea, J Shangase.

Fourth Official: D Ellison.