| 7.3°C Dublin

hotspurs earn penalty points

Newbridge Hotspurs 0

Johnstown United 0

(AET: Newbridge win 4-1 on penalties)

Division 3 side Newbridge Hotspurs progressed to Round 2 of the Republic of Ireland Supporters Cup when they defeated Division 4 side Johnstown United on penalties in this keenly contested cup tie on Sunday at Rickardstown.

In a game of few chances, the home side were first to threaten when, after 15 minutes, midfielder Scott O'Sullivan was unlucky to see his terrific volley from 18 yards shave Shane White's right post.

Ten minutes later, Dan Kavanagh should have put Hotspurs ahead, but his well taken free-kick was saved by Johnstown netminder White.

Johnstown had chances of their own at the other end and Donal O'Kelly had a gilt-edged chance to break the deadlock with 10 minutes to the break when he was set up by Brian Tyrell.

However, his effort was cleared off the line by Hotspurs defender Peter Burke and the sides went in 0-0 at the break.

It was much of the same after the restart with few chances at either end. Vincent Cooley and Jordan Martella were creating half-chances for the visitors midway through the half, but they could not capitalise on some home team defensive errors.

Hotspurs should have made it 1-0 on 60 minutes but Peter Burke saw his header go narrowly wide.

With 10 minutes remaining, another chance for the home side went a-begging when Bruno Walraven's effort was expertly saved by Shane White in the 'Town goal.

The last action of full-time fell to Stephen Cole with five minutes remaining when he was set up by Vincent Cooley.

However, his volley was well-defended by Alan Feane, who cleared the ball to safety and the game went to extra-time.

The home side could have taken the tie midway through the first period when some great work by substitute Darren Feane set up Gary Lowe. His powerful drive from 20 yards was tipped around the post by Johnstown 'keeper White who was outstanding throughout.

Following a dour second period the game went to penalties and Hotspurs proved the more accurate with Darren Feane, Scott O'Sullivan, Frank Durney and Dan Kavanagh all on the mark.

Johnstown were unlucky to see two penalties saved by Newbridge's Joe Conlon. Jordan Martella scored their lone penalty.

Newbridge Hotspurs FC: Joe Conlon, Peter Burke, Alan Feane, Michael Morosan, John paul Lee, Scott O Sullivan, Richard Farrell, Gary Lowe, Frank Durney, Bruno Walraven, Dan Kavanagh, Noel Conway, Darren Feane, Paul Fagan, Patrick Kelly, Niall McDonald.

Johnstown United FC: Shane White, David Brennan, Nial O Connor, Frank Agabolla, Danny Cole, Mena Luca, Brian Tyrrell, Vincent Cooley, Stephen Cole, Donal O Kelly, Jordan Martella, Mick Sheridan, Thomas Cleare. Referee: Danielle Hickey.