| 5.2°C Dublin

corish is port ace

Rosslare Port......................1

New Rocc Celtic 'C'...............0

ROSSLARE PORT seized the initiative with a late, late strike, as Mark Corishs' penalty five minutes deep into additional time helped lift the Gwyn Jones Cup over a deflated New Ross Celtic 'C' in this disappointing final played at Casey Park, Mayglass yesterday morning.

It was Port's late intervention which took them out of their agony and the Harbour side their first major trophy.

But it was such a game, full of mistakes, misdirected passed, little composure, that was always going to be decided by one moment of madness. Five minutes deep into additional time, Rosslare Port who had been under incessant second half pressure, broke quickly out of midfield. A quick ball was played through to the feet of Patrick Doyle, who was unnecessarily brought down by keeper J. P. Traynor, despite having a covering defender.

Then after some moments delay, it was Mark Corish who help his nerve, right footing a rising shot high into the top right hand corner of the net, giving keeper Traynor no chance, and with it his side no chance of staging a late recovery, as within seconds of the restart the referee blew the long whistle, leading to scenes of celebration from the Rosslare boys.

But once the final whistle had sounded Rosslare Port could turn their attentions to their own keeper, Stephen Breen. It was a string of outstanding second half saves from the keeper that kept his side in the game, giving a player of the match performance in the process.

New Ross Celtic after a tame first half, had far more possession through the second period, but with keeper Breen denying them on a number of occasions, coupled with some wayward shooting, they were made pay a costly penalty so late on in the game.

New Ross Celtic came close when Kevin Kielthy sent over a high corner that was headed towards goal by Mark Lee, but somehow Robbie Reville managed to hook the ball off the line.

As the Port side were confined to quick counter attacks, 10 minutes from the end the Barrowsiders were denied the lead when Breen excellently saved from a Mark Lee header.

With extra time beckoning came that dramatic finale as Corish turned hero with an excellently struck penalty to send the Gwyn Jones Cup down south.

Rosslare Port: Stephen Breen, Brian Moore, Robbie Reville, Noel Dempsey, Arpi Csari, Darren Breslin, Adam Pitman, Patrick Doyle, Aaron Corish, Jamie McMahon, Mark Corish. Subs: Ollie O'Connor, Darragh Bottomley, David Corish, Keith Denton, Harvey Wyome.

New Ross Celtic: J P Traynor, Tristan White, Lenny Kearns, Ken O'Neill, Martin Sullivan, Kevin Kielthy, Paul O'Leary, Owen Kehoe, Mark Lee, Liam Traynor, Peter McDonald. Subs: Tommy Lee, Gary Malone, Ian Cullen, Paul Cummins.

Referee: D. Ennis.