| 0.8°C Dublin

Cain a saviour in 'peno' marathon

EDENDERRY Town goalkeeper Cain Brereton was the hero at the end of a penalty shoot-out which produced an amazing 41 spot-kicks.

After both Edenderry and Birr Town had scored 20 penalties each at the end of the Billy Hyland Cup final in Mountmellick, the deadlock was eventually broken by Brereton's save.

The goalkeeper had earlier netted a spot-kick himself as the shoot-out went on and on with seemingly no end in sight.

Birr Town had taken the lead in the first half of normal time through Paul Egan.

Lorcan Pender thought he scored the equaliser before the break but it was whistled up for offside and Edenderry then brought in two of their FAI Cup semi-final Youths, Mikey Cleere and Sergio Camara.

With only seven minutes left Sean Marshall sent the game to extra-time when he nodded home Alan Farrell's corner.

After that it was on to the shoot-out where Edenderry's luck held.

CK clinch first leg of Premier double

JUST a week after booking their place in the Counties Cup final, CK United lifted the CCFL Premier Division title and now have their sights firmly set on the double.

The Tullamore side have all but dominated the league from start to finish and looked set to have an easy passage to securing the crown when they took an early lead in their match against Stradbally Town.

Despite having to field with six injured players, CK United threatened to demolish the Stradbally men with two goals from Brendan Bracken - one from the penalty spot and the other with his head - and strikes from Paul Kinnarney, Damian Bracken and Jody Duffy.

But the Laois side managed two goals, including one at the finish, but by then CK had brought their tally on the day to five goals to put the issue beyond any doubt.

Minnock clinches title for Tullamore

TULLAMORE Town came from a goal down and a man down to clinch the Division One title.

Town needed all three points from the match against Temple Villa at Mount Temple to make sure they stayed ahead of Clonaslee, but it wasn't looking good when Ian Gardiner hit the opener for Temple.

Then centre half Anthony Coyne received a second yellow card and Town decided to move Mark Hayes into defence.

Temple Villa were still a goal up at the break and when word filtered through that Clonaslee were three up in their match at Gracefield, 10-man Town knew they had to go all out for the win.

Enda Ravenhill levelled the match and then set up Kevin Minnock for the winner, giving Tullamore the league crown which evaded them last season.

gearoid keegan